360 degree rotation - large drift radius?

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking this question if it's already been covered, but I've searched the archives and can't find a solution -

With my previous P2 (which I lost in a lake last week), if in GPS mode in a static hover, when I did a 360 rotation (left-stick), it would rotate perfectly within about a 2 foot circle or less, regardless of speed of rotation. Yesterday I received my new replacement P2 and when I attempt the same manuever it wallows around within roughly a 6 foot to 12 foot cirlce, depending on speed of rotation, then returns to the exact point in space where the maneuver began. While in a steady hover, it's rock solid. It only wanders around while rotating.

My new P2 has all of the latest software and firmware updates, everything has been calibrated in Assistant v1.08, except IMU calibration which it says is "not required" when I click on the "begin calibration" link. I have done my compass calibration in the field to appease the drone gods and I'm not near any obvious souces of interference like cell phone towers, power lines, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I have a P1, but the same happens. My guess that the difference in your case is the windspeed.

When the Phantom "locks" itself at a position, it takes a certain attitude to counter the effects of the wind.

Now, when you rotate, it maintains this attitude for a while and therefore will be "blown away". The flight controller then adjusts to the new situation and the Phantom creeps back to its previous location.

My guess is that on a day without wind it will not "wallow".

lgeist said:
My new P2 has all of the latest software and firmware updates, everything has been calibrated in Assistant v1.08, except IMU calibration which it says is "not required" when I click on the "begin calibration" link. I have done my compass calibration in the field to appease the drone gods and I'm not near any obvious souces of interference like cell phone towers, power lines, etc.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I ignore the "calibration not needed" - go straight to advanced IMU calibration and let it do it's thing. I calibrate IMU anytime I have my P1 open (upgrades), when I change a setting, or when it does something quirky like not hovering correctly.

Ton4 said:
I have a P1, but the same happens. My guess that the difference in your case is the windspeed.

When the Phantom "locks" itself at a position, it takes a certain attitude to counter the effects of the wind.

Now, when you rotate, it maintains this attitude for a while and therefore will be "blown away". The flight controller then adjusts to the new situation and the Phantom creeps back to its previous location.

My guess is that on a day without wind it will not "wallow".

Thanks, Ton4, you nailed it!

I flew this morning in the same location with no wind and it rotated perfectly. It makes sense now too. I only flew my original P2 three times before it went to Phantom Heaven, and each time the wind was calm. When I encountered the issue the other day with my new P2, the wind was about 10 MPH and gusting higher.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik