30fps or 60fps?

S

sandman259

Just wondering if I should bother with 60 or not. My computer won't play them smooth at 60 but if I upload them somewhere it works fine. I heard the naked eye can only see 30?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

60 seems to make for smoother video in turns or pans.

Reactions: DMac
24/30 fps is the historical frame rates for film and video. Newer stuff is frequently shot at 60 (and sometimes higher). The frame rate does affect the general look. Higher frame rates increase file size. It also affects how rapidly moving scenes and objects are captured.

24/30 - Generally provides a more cinematic look. Rapid moving objects or rapid turns of the camera introduce slight motion blur to the video. Some people favor that motion blur as it adds a realism to the video.

60+ - Produces crisper looking video. Reduces motion blur from moving objects and rapid turns. Generally makes "cleaner" more defined looking video. It does look a little artificial though as we humans have been trained in 24/30 fps for a century or so now.

You can transcode 60 down to 30. It, however, won't have the 24/30 fps motion blur without using a post production filter to make it which I don't think ever looks as good as true motion blur during capture.

Both work. Both are used still. Just depends on the look you want in the video.

I normally shoot in 24 or 30, but 60 would be better if you wanted to do any slow motion. You can use you're video editor to interpret the 60fps footage at 30fps and it will be twice as slow but not choppy.

And how often do we use slow motion in videos? Generally speeding them up to quicken the scenes is used. I very rarely use slow motion; usually when and if I catch an animal running but that's about it.

Good comments here. If you want to be able to get some real nice slow motion use 60. I shoot 24 most of the time.

^ Me too, on both the P3 and VC. One other issue is my 14 month old Samsung smart TV's won't play 60 fps either which makes it rather pointless.... Oh as well as the massive file size. LOL!

I was wondering cause I know the 4K camera only shoots 30fps so I figured it must be ok...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The P3 and P4 send out their 4K/30fps data at 60mbps max; doubling that to 60fps would probably require a stronger processor on the aircraft. I bet the next-gen Inspire will be able to do it though.

more than you think, the eye can detect the difference up to about 120 fps, the brain melds the stuff together. Nice thing about 60FPS video - it percieved as smother, you can slowmo it (down to 24 FPS if you like) - other things - bigger video, older PCs struggle to decode, longer post production edits due to more data crunched.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31