3000ft or so with P3P

Reaction score
So im still getting the hang on with my phantom but seems it hits max distance around 3000ft.. last time i was around 2000ish with no mods and I kept getting transmission errors.. got scared was my 2nd flight so turned around.

so today i kept going and it initiated RTH.

I will try the same location again another day with higher altitude.. what do you guys recommend for distance?

I was also using windsurfers today with this below flight.. i was expecting much more.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

any tips?

so today i kept going and it initiated RTH.
RTH is automatically initiated 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost.

RTH is automatically initiated 3 seconds after the remote controller signal is lost.

yes but surley not at 3000ft?

Be patient.

what that suppose to mean :D

oh forgot about this.. any idea why im getting this on my nvidia shield?

Screenshot_20160520-170227.png Screenshot_20160520-170333.png Screenshot_20160520-170342.png

yes but surley not at 3000ft?
Your log indicates the remote controller signal was lost at 3,768 feet.

any idea why im getting this on my nvidia shield?
It's showing you the areas that are overexposed. You can turn off that setting in DJI GO here:

DJI-GO-Over-Exposure-Setting.PNG

Reactions: Strat
That sort of distance is about right with trees or buildings bouncing signal back from where you are standing.
Even if you fly higher to maintain Line Of Sight the signal will still be attenuated unless you can be up on an open hillside or something.

Also keeping antennas parallel and the flat side directed towards where it is flying is important and surprisingly difficult as it gets further away barely visible.
In my opinion this is part of the reason the windsurfer booster works so well - it increases the directionality but also encourages you to be aware of keeping things lined up.

It's all about location, location, location. Around my neighborhood, I struggle to get 2000 feet. Out over a nearby lake, I've pushed the same P3 to 8500+ feet and could have kept going, but I chickened out.

Both physical (trees, buildings, topography) and electromagnetic (WiFi networks) interference play a huge role in range.

Same here. from home I would have to go higher than 400ft up to get more than 4000ft out.

Last week, I went down to the river and
and flew out to an island at 14,000. Full signal all the way out at 137ft altitude.
On the return trip I got lazy and sat down on the ground. Signals all went red. Stood back up right away. All back to full again.
Was still 20ft out over water and got 10% battery Warning. (landing) steered it over land and it came down about 10ft from shore (over land)at 8% battery. Got the max out of that one.

Make sure you set a custom channel, choose a channel with least traffic. After you select "CUSTOM CHANNEL", this will give the option to set the bit rate on the same screen. Set the bit rate to 4mbps "transmission quality". You won't notice much difference in the screen image quality, but you will notice it will go much farther before losing video feed. A $19 windsurfer can help to get you past 2mi if you have LOS clearance between you and the drone. Higher elevations get you farther too. Over water is easy to get 2mi, but anywhere you're away from homes with wifi is good. Position yourself as high up as possible on a mountain to minimize tree interference.

Reactions: ObiDon and Strat
About to go to the same location today and give it another go.. did the 32ch hack so will play around with the channels today.. I am elevated on a hill at the location above and the windsurfers i was using yesterday were these.

see how we go.. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik