$300 quad ?

Reaction score
I have a friends daughter looking to buy him a starter UAV for sub $300 range. I have no experience with this price range of quads as I jumped straight into Phantoms.

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on here so would appreciate some input so I can give her some guidance. She is overwhelmed looking at them which I can understand as I am too :)

I can see him moving up later on but she would like to buy him something for his birthday.

Thanks

P1 for$299 @ BH photo with free 2nd battery, rechargable batteries with charger plus free shipping.

that P1

or

P2 v2 at B&H also like new for 350.

I bought one from them used grade8+ 6months and hundreds of flights ago, still kicking great!

I'm not sure what the P2 will do that the P1 won't other than flying time and paying a lot more for batteries. May not be the best choice for their first Phantom. But it does give them a choice.

I was just looking at the BH site today. P1 is still $299 with free shipping but no mention of extra flight battery and tx batteries and charger. This stuff changes all the time

Yea hard to follow. So no other brands that might FPV or anything to get him started?

As I said I am clueless as my first UAV was a V+. Although I have hours and hundreds of miles of flight time I really know nothing about a good starter rig.

I think if this is for a first time pilot, I wouldn't worry about fpv now. A person should learn how to be a good pilot first. The P1 is a stable platform. Batteries are cheap. It can carry gimble and gopro. You can always add fpv later later. I have the Fatshark goggles but fpv is not as easy as just flying depending on what fpv system you're using. There are many fpv transmitters and monitors that can be had without investing too much. Learning to fly and understanding the Phantom is enough to start with and have a lot of fun. People are crashing the new P3 every day. Too much too fast.

Oh, and as far as other brands in that price range....not sure. I went through all of that with my first purchace and decided on the P1. Never regretted it. That's why my third is being delivered tomorrow. My first two are still flying well.

Thanks for the info. I had no issues with FPV as my first quad but had some room to learn as well. My house lot is 550' long and have a lot of open fields in one direction to fly. I am doubting anything in the Sub $300 range would have FPV worth doing but I dont know that as Chinese technology is pretty cheap nowadays.

If he wants to move up to FPV he should be able to buy a near new V+ cheaply as the price has dropped like a rock with the P3 out.

The reason I said fpv wasn't so easy. ..I was referring to wearing the goggles. When you have no side vision it is a bit weird. I need to do it more to get better at it. So many posts about losing video connection with the phones or tablets and not knowing what to do then. I like to just fly and shoot video at times. Not wearing goggles or staring at a monitor makes me more aware of what is going on around me. Some of the new features are really cool but I have no plans to fly 2 miles away from home point. To each his own. I just don't trust them enough to do those kind of flights.

OK thanks guys. Looking like a P1 is a good place to start.

OK thanks guys. Looking like a P1 is a good place to start.

We know where you can get a whole buncha advice about the P1... :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31