30 Second Timed Raw Capture Limit

Reaction score
I see the post titled "DNG RAW FILES", and the responses relating to the 30 second interval, but here is my problem...

I want to fly a waypoint mission that maps out an orthogonal grid over an area with the camera pointed straight down, then stitch the pictures together later on so that they meet to form a continuous mosaic.

I already have a way to correct for the fisheye lens distortion.

In order to do this, I need to know the relative altitude to be able to adjust the image zoom for varying distances from the ground.

I know I can rely on the settings from the waypoint definitions, but that implies that the altitude for every waypoint was exactly defined using the slider in the waypoint definition procedure, and that those target altitudes get recorded on paper or something for later integration with the images.

I can see and recover altitude from DNG files, which would make any manual field recordings unnecessary, but not from JPG files.

Is there a way to get altitude from JPG files?

If not, a 30 second time limit for a recording process that takes 5 seconds is a show stopper for using a Phantom for any kind of ortho photography at altitudes low enough to get useable resolution. If I fly at 1000 feet a 30 second interval might be about right to have some overlap from the last image, but you couldn't have enough resolution to be useful. At something like 100 feet, the speed between waypoints would need to be 2 or 3 mph to have the camera over the next image position in 30 seconds.

At 2 or 3 mph, the amount of territory you can cover in a single mission (battery) is so small as to be useless

Any suggestions appreciated.

Hank

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31