3 blinking red lights after compass calibration

Reaction score
Greetings.

My wife gave me a Phantom (first version) for Xmas. Good wife. I've tried several times to get it flying, but keep encountering the same problem (have watched the videos, read the manual, searched the forums, etc.). The issue is this: When I first switch on the phantom, following the correct sequence, everything seems fine. I go to calibrate the compass and get the solid green light after turning 360 degrees in the horizontal position. When I switch to the vertical position and turn 360 degrees, the solid green light switches to a blinking red light in a series of three quick flashes. It keeps blinking three times quickly over and over. Have tried the calibration procedure about 30 times but no go. And it won't fly. Any advice?

Thanks. Had checked everything with NAZA previously and everything looked good. One additional point of clarification -- the three red blinking lights start when I first put the battery in. So when I plug in battery (after controller is turned on) I get something like one green flash, one yellow flash, three green flashes then it goes into the repetitive "3 flashing red lights" sequence. I will try poking around in the NAZA assistant again later when my wife gets home with her PC (the lack of Mac software support is really, really killing me.)

Are you doing this indoors? 3 red blinking lights means under 6 satellites GPS lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed you simply are not aquiring enough satelites, do not fly until you have only a blinking green light, and home has been logged, rapid flashing green lights

I'm in the suburbs, about 14 miles outside of Boston. House on hill with 3 acres. If there's any interference, it has to be naturally occurring. Surrounded by farms and conservation land. Basically standing out in a 70-yard by 30-yard field with clear lines of sight to the sky. So not sure why I wouldn't be picking up satellites, but who knows. Will check everything with the software tonight and get back to you this weekend with an update. So far, I haven't even seen the propellers spin.

Also -- just for clarification, i get the repeating three blinking red lights after I plug in the battery and the Phantom is sitting stable on the ground. Then, when I try to calibrate, I get the green solid light when held horizontally and rotating but then when I rotate vertically it goes back to three blinking red lights. There's no other light in the sequence in either scenario. Just three quick blinks of the red light, over and over and over. Never stops.

zepi said:
Also -- just for clarification, i get the repeating three blinking red lights after I plug in the battery and the Phantom is sitting stable on the ground. Then, when I try to calibrate, I get the green solid light when held horizontally and rotating but then when I rotate vertically it goes back to three blinking red lights. There's no other light in the sequence in either scenario. Just three quick blinks of the red light, over and over and over. Never stops.

When you do the vertical dance the battery door is facing down right? Because if it's facing up you'll get 3 red lights...

Reactions: upandaway
EMCSQUAR said:
zepi said:

When you do the vertical dance the battery door is facing down right? Because if it's facing up you'll get 3 red lights...

I tried it both ways, but I will try repeatedly with the door facing down to rule that one out. Thanks!

iResq said:
Just a thought S1 and S2 both in uppermost position?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yep -- both in uppermost position. But worth a double-check so thank you.

I checked the manual. 3 blinking red lights means either not stationary or bias too big. You had indicated that you 'checked' it but did you actually do an advanced IMU calibration? That is what the manual suggests.

I am having the same issue and cannot be fixed. Just bought the thing and it isnt working. I live right in DC so there is no way im not getting satellite coverage. Any help out there guys?

jopusgrevelink said:
I am having the same issue and cannot be fixed. Just bought the thing and it isnt working. I live right in DC so there is no way im not getting satellite coverage. Any help out there guys?

Which model of the Phantom do you have? And how long are you waiting for it to acquire satellites?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers