3.1 miles

Reaction score
I had the P3S for about a week but decided to return it because I was only able to fly it about 1500ft before losing signal and RTH. I was flying at night in a park with open area. Is extremely disappointed as I thought I could go at least half a mile. The reason I bought the standard instead of the adv/pro was the stated 0.6 mile range versus 1.2 miles (not much difference), and the price difference. I'm not even getting 1/3 of the range.

Well I recently looked at DJI website and now their advertised maximum range for adv/pro is now 3.1 miles!? How did it change from 1.2 to 3.1. Hardware or software upgrade?

Regardless I just ordered a P3A directly from DJI ( you avoid getting older stock with possible shell cracking issue and getting new motor). Also in the hopes that IF there is difference between new production model and old flying range, I will get the 3.1 miles version.

I don't think there is a difference because I've seen older (back in May) videos of people going easily over 1.2 miles. I just wonder why DJI had it at 1.2 miles in their old specs.

I should get my P3A in few days, will report.

Reactions: clivek_77
Ok was that updated model or a software update to get that range I've push mine to about a mile and half but turned around with good signal just didn't want to push it cause I was over open water

I've been 16,661 feet and could have went much further if I didn't have to turn around because of battery.

The P3S is using a much simpler wifi system, it seems to be very similar to the earlier vision and vision plus for range.
You could get a little more from an ideal elevated take off point, but 2-3000 feet would be about it without modifications.
You also needed to be much braver as there was none of this live map position business - if FPV went down you were flying blind pretty much.

With the P3A/P even fully stock you are more limited by battery life than range in a good open area.
Add the windsurfer type reflectors and 2 miles and more is very easily achieved even on the reduced power CE version.
More practically, at typical closer range flying your radio link is far more secure which gives greater confidence and safety.

The most important thing is antenna orientation. I see a big difference in range when the antennas are not aimed correctly.

Can anybody comment on how the adv/pro P3 maximum range spec suddenly jumps from 1.2 to 3.1 mile?

Can anybody comment on how the adv/pro P3 maximum range spec suddenly jumps from 1.2 to 3.1 mile?
Just went to DJI site and this is what it said (Up to 5 km or 3.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interferences) when it is FCC compliant; Up to 3.5 km or 2.1 miles (unobstructed, free of interferences) when it is CE compliant)

Ya there has to be some reason why they changed it cause I bought a p3s first loved everything about it besides the range lost signal about 3297 feet and the remote but could have lived with that then when I returned it and ordered the p3a thinking hey a little over a mile is great and haven't pushed it much past a mile yet lol

Since its evident the data rate speed of the video lightbridge link for p3a is slower than p3p, I'm wondering if that affects range capabilities between these two lightbridge implementations.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers