3.08 Discussion Thread for P2NV / P2Z

ianwood

Taco Wrangler
Reaction score
Too much P2V / P2V+ specific discussion in the other thread. None of us P2NV / P2Z users have the app. Let's discuss what benefits / issues specifically apply to the P2NV and P2Z. So far, I don't see much in this new firmware:

• Battery discharge feature
  • Cell balancing and imbalance detection (too bad none of the bad batteries seem to have cell imbalance issues)
  • Max descent below 10m reduced to 0.6m/s.
  • "Propulsion system enhancements" - I would guess this means support for the new ESCs, motors and props.
  • Adjustable RTH altitude? (Has anyone seen this in the new assistant?)
And they made the Limefuel batteries not work which pisses me off.

Yes, on the RTH user defined in software. Tested tonight and worked well. Also can confirm that it slows descent to .6 at low altitude during RTH.

I also noticed almost nonexistent drift when doing fast yawing circles.

Also noticed that during full tilt in ATTI I was able to command a fairly fast ascent which I was not able to do when on 3.06.

Note: I put on 9450 props for these first test flights, so I'm not sure if it was fixed in firmware or a benefit of prop upgrade.

ianwood said:
Too much P2V / P2V+ specific discussion in the other thread. None of us P2NV / P2Z users have the app. Let's discuss what benefits / issues specifically apply to the P2NV and P2Z. So far, I don't see much in this new firmware:

• Battery discharge feature
  • Cell balancing and imbalance detection (too bad none of the bad batteries seem to have cell imbalance issues)
  • Max descent below 10m reduced to 0.6m/s.
  • "Propulsion system enhancements" - I would guess this means support for the new ESCs, motors and props.
  • Adjustable RTH altitude? (Has anyone seen this in the new assistant?)
And they made the Limefuel batteries not work which pisses me off.
Did it kill the use of LF batteries, or are they just wrecked if you try to apply DJI firmware upgrade to the LF battery?

Damon said:
Did it kill the use of LF batteries, or are they just wrecked if you try to apply DJI firmware upgrade to the LF battery?

That's a good question. Hopefully only if you try to apply it to the LF battery. I can live with that.

Sounds like good news on the handling characteristics. Would like see if that is echoed on the original P2 props.

I recently purchased a Limefuel battery and like it, so I'm going to hold off on this update for now. Although, from what I saw on another thread, you have to manual select the battery update. Can someone confirm this? Can I update to 3.08 and NOT do the battery update? And if so, will my Limefuel battery still work?

Good thread, it's hard to decipher the p2z info from the p2v stuff about this update.

So rth height setting is there, what tab is it under? Also 0.6 decent rate under 10m working. Just need to figure out how the auto-discharge stuff works. Any sign of new battery info in the assistant?

The adjustable RTH height is on the Limits Tab in software.

I'm also curious of the auto-discharge. Nothing seen in software. It could possibly be occurring when you plug the battery into charger, since its firmware based inside the battery.

Being able to charge an empty batt to 50% would be handy but not sure how this discharging a full batt to 50% is gonna work.. How long after it's charged will it start discharging to 50%? A day?, 7 days? Special button combo to trigger it? I wish DJI would actually explain this stuff lol. Oh well im sure we'll figure it out between us.

I'm still actually on v2.0 phantom firmware, but a quite a lot seems to be changing in these latest updates so may just have to go with the flow...

DesertFlyer53 said:
I recently purchased a Limefuel battery and like it, so I'm going to hold off on this update for now. Although, from what I saw on another thread, you have to manual select the battery update. Can someone confirm this? Can I update to 3.08 and NOT do the battery update? And if so, will my Limefuel battery still work?
"I just got this email from Limefuel

After some initial testing it seems that the latest battery firmware upgrade (V2.6) from DJI renders our L54P unusable. You will not be able to start/fly your DJI at all. If you upgrade/d to this latest firmware our battery will no longer work with the DJI Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, or Phantom 2 Vision+. We are looking into this matter and we hope to have a fix available as soon as possible and will keep you updated. If you want to continue using the L54P we suggest that you do not upgrade to the latest battery firmware (V2.6)"

Very glad this was started. It was hard to go through all the p2v people posting since it did not apply to the more intellectual (about quads) p2z people, hahahhaha. :eek: I am mostly interested in the battery firmware and the discharge features. I also hope they update the mini iosd firmware to show imperial metrics and to show longitude and latitude and maybe some other stuff the vision people have.

Cloud9 said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
"I just got this email from Limefuel

After some initial testing it seems that the latest battery firmware upgrade (V2.6) from DJI renders our L54P unusable. You will not be able to start/fly your DJI at all. If you upgrade/d to this latest firmware our battery will no longer work with the DJI Phantom 2, Phantom 2 Vision, or Phantom 2 Vision+. We are looking into this matter and we hope to have a fix available as soon as possible and will keep you updated. If you want to continue using the L54P we suggest that you do not upgrade to the latest battery firmware (V2.6)"

I saw that in another thread.

Newbie here. Been surfing this forum for about 10 months now and finally decided to jump in to this thread. I've learned a ton from you guys and have been flying my Phantom 2 since March 2014.

Today I read about the new 3.08 update so I jumped in and updated. Seems everything updated except my batteries. Good thing since one of my batts is a LimeFuel and gratefully it didn't update along with my other batts. I did get an email from LimeFuel later in the day saying to not update as ver2.6 would render it unusable.

Anyway, after updating I took my bird out to try out the new firmware and here are some observations that I noted:

-Two of my oldest batts got twice the flight time than before the 3.08 update. These two batts before the update would get around 6 minutes flight time before going into low battery/auto land mode. One batt would give the low battery warning at around 50%, the other at 60%. After the 3.08 update, one batt went to the default 20% warning and auto land at 16%. After that the percentage did drop very quickly and voltage indicated 10.7v. The other battery got the low warning at around 27% and auto land at 20%. Basically I got twice the flight time after the update to 3.08. Keep in mind the battery firmware was still ver 2.0 so I don't know how ver 2.6 will effect things. Before the update both of these batteries would have around 50% remaining as indicated by the LEDs (two solid LEDs and sometimes a third blinking) After 3.08, both batteries had just one solid LED on indicating 25% or less battery power remaining. This was also confirmed when running the assistant software for both of the batts.

-My other two batteries are newer but I didn't have a chance to fly today with them so I don't know how much better they will do under 3.08. I fly with an FPV setup and I was getting around 12-13 minutes flight time under 3.06. One of those is the LimeFuel battery that I recently purchased. I will certainly not update the firmware of that battery until LimeFuel comes up with a solution to the ver 2.6 update. I did run the assistant software with the LimeFuel installed to see if 3.08 would render it useless but it didn't. Luckily for me, it didn't update the battery to ver 2.6 as it would have turned it into and expensive paper weight!

-Flying under ver 3.06 my H3-3D gimbal was having the issue of twerking to the left when flying forward at higher speeds. I tested that today under 3.08 and the latest gimbal update and did not get the twerking to the left. That alone was worth the update to me! That twerking to the left messed up a lot of my past videos since upgrading to the 3D gimbal in July.

-My tilt lever works completely opposite after the update. Before the update, moving the lever to the left resulted in the camera tilting down. After the update the same movement does just the opposite and moves the camera up. Not a big deal, just have to remember that it works backwards from what it was before.

-I did change the RTH height in the assistant software and it works as advertised. I set it at 120 ft. and it did indeed climb to that height when executing the RTH function. I didn't test what it would do if higher than that when selecting the RTH function.

All in all I'm happy with the update. My older batteries now have twice the flight time than before and my gimbal twerking seems to have been fixed. I'll get out and try my two newer batteries tomorrow and see what kind of flight time I get from them. From what I've seen so far, the flight times seem to be back where they were under 3.04 and that's a good thing!

Interesting. That would mean that my initial thought about the battery problem being a software one was correct.
I'll link here from the bad battery thread for others to test this.

Captain,

My gimbal was changed to "Rev" in the software as a result of update. Just hook the P2 up and run Phantom Assistant to change the x1 back to "norm"

Damon said:
Captain,

My gimbal was changed to "Rev" in the software as a result of update. Just hook the P2 up and run Phantom Assistant to change the x1 back to "norm"
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out next time I run the assistant software.

I haven't really looked into it yet, but how do you use the batter discharge feature?

I think I remember reading you want to leave these batteries around 30% for long periods of inactivity! is that right? I usually charge mine to 100% because I fly once a week or so, is that bad?

Sorry for the off topic questions, figured I'd get them out here instead of staring a new thread.

No one has found the "Easter Egg" in the software to discharge or manage the batteries.

Batteries should be stored for extended periods at around 50%. I've also read posts about storage at 11.5 volts. You will need to have iosd mini to find the 11.5 volt "sweet spot".

Accoring to the update thread in the General section, it could be that the batteries discharge themselves. Although it is speculation at this point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl