3.0.6. Update Users Notes

Here are my current gains, the P2 seems to react well to environment variables (wind). But I have not tested in very high winds so I might edit this post in the future. :p

The stick controls feel a little more spongy compared to 3.0.4. So I might up the ATTI gains to 230% each to test how it reacts. Unfortunately I feel it will make the YAW even quicker, which sucks for panning or circle and pan shots. I quest I just need to practice even more on those compound stick commands.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    57.8 KB · Views: 570
As luck would have it winds picked up this evening so I decided to load in ATTI gains of 230% on both fields just to check stick response.

It definitely was less spongy, I might bring it up a little bit more. I did not notice any effect on the YAW. The winds were about 15 mph gusting to 20 mph. Confirmed with iosd by placing in ATTI and drifting at 7.5 M/S or 17mph. In GPS mode against this wind it responded appropriately as observed in 3.0.4. (No noticeable differences) remember that's with 120% 120% 120% 200% on top gains fields.

I decided to begin discharge of batteries today after reading post from long flyers conditioning their batteries for longer flights. My #2 battery was forced to a auto descent earlier. Placed it on the my launch pad and ran battery down to 7% which happened to be 10.7 volts.

Tonight on my #3 battery I also brought to auto descent. Again placed it on the ground and it went rather quickly to 8% but it had unusually high voltage still at 11.1-2 volts. It took a long time to get down to 7%, remaining at 8% as it drained from 11.1-2 volts all the way down to 10.7 volts before hitting 7%.

I will definitely be checking these batteries in flight assistant after complete charges to make sure they are looking similar. EDIT- Both were checked in assistant next day and appeared very similar in voltage on all cells...

Damon said:
As luck would have it winds picked up this evening so I decided to load in ATTI gains of 230% on both fields just to check stick response.

It definitely was less spongy, I might bring it up a little bit more. I did not notice any effect on the YAW. The winds were about 15 mph gusting to 20 mph. Confirmed with iosd by placing in ATTI and drifting at 7.5 M/S or 17mph. In GPS mode against this wind it responded appropriately as observed in 3.0.4. (No noticeable differences) remember that's with 120% 120% 120% 200% on top gains fields.

I decided to begin discharge of batteries today after reading post from long flyers conditioning their batteries for longer flights. My #2 battery was forced to a auto descent earlier. Placed it on the my launch pad and ran battery down to 7% which happened to be 10.7 volts.

Tonight on my #3 battery I also brought to auto descent. Again placed it on the ground and it went rather quickly to 8% but it had unusually high voltage still at 11.1-2 volts. It took a long time to get down to 7%, remaining at 8% as it drained from 11.1-2 volts all the way down to 10.7 volts before hitting 7%.

I will definitely be checking these batteries in flight assistant after complete charges to make sure they are looking similar.

ATTI gains have no impact on yaw input, fyi. If they ever DO add an ATTI gain variable for yaw, I'll do the happy dance.

Yes I would dance the jig with you.

I have a great idea for DJI. Since they are locking things down to lesson crashes, etc.

Why don't they do something like smart batteries that track number charges. Except it could keep a running tally of flight minutes on P2. Then software would unlock more configuration fields for users as they achieved certain number of flights or minutes. It seems logical to me.

dano7602 said:
Yes I agree if you cannot fly in ATTI mode you should not be flying period. I also do a lot of flying off my boat in which I always fly in ATTI mode over water. People need to read the manuals and forums to fully understand how these sophisticated machines work before flying. I have never had any crashes or issues with my Phantom other then the J hooking due to declination. Based on Camicus comment I will be upgrading to 3.06. I can't wait to try course lock mode and actually have it fly on the correct course.

Out of curiosity, do you think it is a must to switch to ATTI mode when flying over water? I've been flying in pretty much only GPS mode when collecting footage, but have practiced in ATTI just in case I need to get out of a bind caused by GPS...

gruvpix said:
dano7602 said:
Yes I agree if you cannot fly in ATTI mode you should not be flying period. I also do a lot of flying off my boat in which I always fly in ATTI mode over water. People need to read the manuals and forums to fully understand how these sophisticated machines work before flying. I have never had any crashes or issues with my Phantom other then the J hooking due to declination. Based on Camicus comment I will be upgrading to 3.06. I can't wait to try course lock mode and actually have it fly on the correct course.

Out of curiosity, do you think it is a must to switch to ATTI mode when flying over water? I've been flying in pretty much only GPS mode when collecting footage, but have practiced in ATTI just in case I need to get out of a bind caused by GPS...

I would not fly over water unless you are 100% comfortable in ATTI mode. It isn't necessarily a must to fly in ATTI all the time over water, but I think it's imperative to be able to react without thinking...

My last 30ish flights have been entirely over water. A lot of the flying has been in 10-25mph winds. I fly mostly in ATTI and will only switch to GPS if I want her to sit still. I always descend in ATTI, and with the winds help, there is zero signs of VRS. I've never personally experienced any signs of VRS as I have always descended at an angle. The wind will help achieve that without any input from the pilot, where as in GPS mode I could see a problem being created.

If you defend in ATT mode, wouldn't that mean the wind is pushing the quad and the vortex? Vs GPS mode the quad would decend straight and the vortex would be blown off to the side.

Camicus said:
gruvpix said:
dano7602 said:

I would not fly over water unless you are 100% comfortable in ATTI mode. It isn't necessarily a must to fly in ATTI all the time over water, but I think it's imperative to be able to react without thinking...

My last 30ish flights have been entirely over water. A lot of the flying has been in 10-25mph winds. I fly mostly in ATTI and will only switch to GPS if I want her to sit still. I always descend in ATTI, and with the winds help, there is zero signs of VRS. I've never personally experienced any signs of VRS as I have always descended at an angle. The wind will help achieve that without any input from the pilot, where as in GPS mode I could see a problem being created.

Interesting.. I had some vrs issues but then updated to 3.04 and removed my prop guards. Before flying over water I tested it out and could not take the thing down even with max down throttle on GPS mode so I figured all was ok. I am pretty comfortable in atti mode though so I think I will continue to fly in gps, and then if I run into any issues with descending switch to atti. I focus on always descending at an angle because I know what can happen if I get vrs

FlyingHigh said:
If you defend in ATT mode, wouldn't that mean the wind is pushing the quad and the vortex? Vs GPS mode the quad would decend straight and the vortex would be blown off to the side.

FlyingHig is exactly correct.

Yet another flight test tonight.

This version is like a box of chocolates, you never no what your gonna get! Tonight it was very windy, but held position with no problems.

But this time return to home did not trigger at all! I was expecting it at 20%, and NOTHING. It did auto land at exactly 14%, even though voltage was 10.8. I guess I will just make dang sure I'm near home or within 200 meters at a safe 11.1 volts.

Plus tonight I decided to practice flying near objects like people. I used the next best solution. COWS, they have really no fear, almost posing for the camera, they don't ask stupid questions and they will not sue you if the quad hits them! Enjoy short video clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPHFiPj ... 5uXKWZFesQ

Beautiful day to fly, no winds, cooler than normal and I received my FPVLR 4.25 helical antenna for monitor.

I conducted some ATTI longer flights to test out the helical. Didn't want to push it to far since I'm still a newbie. Made a couple 1000 meter out and return flights. FPV was rock solid even when turning the quad 360 degrees out there. My max with the Chinese made cheapo patch was 600m at best and I would lose signal on portion of the turn.

Continued with some more 400m runs and turns until around 11volts on battery, then doing 50m circles to get the battery down to where I thought it would do RTH. Mind you, I was flying max speed during the runs. When 20% hit I was busy LOS with he quad and it did a very abrupt stop and actually was reversing at a decent clip. I though OH **** the fatal fly away!

I'm not going to lie I seriously thought about conducting a CSC to stop all engines since I was over fluffy vegetation and trees were off to the side. Instead I remembered, just throw it into ATTI. It quickly leveled off and I brought it in for a hand catch. I noticed my TK102B on bracket had slipped all the way forward on the skids into the back of the gimbal. That will give you an idea of how hard and quick this reverse was.

I decided to jump back on the horse and threw a fresh battery in. Checked out the horizon line on the FPV to confirm something was not wrong with the IMU and took it up. Second battery started out more timid flying, just waiting for a second event. It was flying tight and had no twitching or quick adjustments. I decided to test a theory and wanted to make sure I was full tilt forward when 20% hit again. Yup this time I had a better angle for view and it did it again. The RTH threw on the brakes quickly and it reversed hard. Apparently trying to get back to the GPS co-ordinate where it was initiated. Once there it then climbed for the RTH.

Lesson learned, don't fly full speed when RTH is about to initiate! Or don't panic and throw in CSC command until at least trying ATTI mode first!

I also noticed that auto descent occurred at 10.8 Volts during second battery tonight. I can't remember what the percent was at.

Yes I've noticed the very quick full stop and rapid reverse when going full speed in GPS mode and auto RTH kicks in. Had me panicked at first and I flipped to ATTI mode, just something to be aware of.
Automatic RTH works fine. (Phantom 2)

damoncooper said:
So... If you leave it alone it's fine and properly executes RTH?
Yes, as Yankee said it works fine. It just causes panic when you see it the first time.

Before I chime in on my experience. I am new to this I only had my P2 for about 3 weeks But did log in a few miles on 3 batteries.I would like to thank all on this forum for all of the advice and knowledge. Today I had to upgrade to 3.6 because i thought i had a Brand new battery take a crap. When I logged on it would not let me do anything unless I upgraded. Well I went for it and checked my battery I must have not charged that one at all. Well any way I had to recalibrate the RC to go any further and i did it by the book. I decided to get out and try it because of the bad Rap 3.06 has. Put new props on to give it a fair shake It all seemed to work well. And grant you I am a new guy. The only thing I was not paying attention to was the battery .It started to descend and it was not even close to home. It was a very slow descend and it did land upright and shut down. Now I am still flying in Phantom mode so I will follow this thread very close .Thanks again

tonylumps said:
Before I chime in on my experience. I am new to this I only had my P2 for about 3 weeks But did log in a few miles on 3 batteries.I would like to thank all on this forum for all of the advice and knowledge. Today I had to upgrade to 3.6 because i thought i had a Brand new battery take a crap. When I logged on it would not let me do anything unless I upgraded. Well I went for it and checked my battery I must have not charged that one at all. Well any way I had to recalibrate the RC to go any further and i did it by the book. I decided to get out and try it because of the bad Rap 3.06 has. Put new props on to give it a fair shake It all seemed to work well. And grant you I am a new guy. The only thing I was not paying attention to was the battery .It started to descend and it was not even close to home. It was a very slow descend and it did land upright and shut down. Now I am still flying in Phantom mode so I will follow this thread very close .Thanks again
Great to see another new guy joining the group. Keep close eye on batteries in the assistant making sure one of the cells are not bad.

As a matter of not really wanting to pay for a replacement I tend to get around home once iosd displays 11.0 volts.

I have noticed auto descends occurring around 15% or 10.8-7 Volts.

You have FPV and iosd mini? If not I would not recommend flying to far from home. The data is crucial to get it home before auto descend occurs over water or trees.

First day back from a Non-Quad vacation with the family. I had one agenda on the mind after reading an article on Lipo Battery Care. http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html I was going to discharge two of my packs that had been charged prior to vacation down to 50%.

My plan is to charge up to 100% just prior to flight and vary my discharges down to variables between 30% and 60% on the three batteries that I do have. Hopefully I will have a longer battery life overall.

During my discharge I figured I would play in ATTI and gain some practical flight experience. Wind was almost nothing, so it was like flying GPS mode anyhow, except for the fun drift after fast runs.

I did notice that when in ATTI mode flying full forward (25 degree pitch) applying full throttle up does not produce a very good ascent. It would only climb about 1.5 M/S while bombing full speed forward. This was full up on both left and right stick. I switched to GPS and made a run full forward (15 degree pitch) and then applied full throttle up and it climbed at about 5.5 M/S.

Both modes in full forward and throttle all the way down would only descend between 1.9 - 2.0 M/S.

Leson learned: When in ATTI let off of forward when approaching objects and then apply full throttle. Better to learn that now, instead of flying straight into a tree or building expecting a climb and nothing happening.

I've noticed a significant change in the new firmware. Here is a link to my latest flight showing the improvement with magnetic declination corrected: Flight over Brookside Golf course and Rose Bowl: http://youtu.be/J3ng9q2tGXw

You can see my other two videos in my signature for how it was before firmware update.

Crud! No fly day as of right now. K-index 6! Bad mojo for GPS.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31