2nd Phantom or new gimbal?

Reaction score
Hm, with the advent of summer and a general improvement in the UK weather, I am back to square one on a decision that's been dogging me.

I have been flying my Phantom Vision since last July and apart from one flip over when landing, have suffered no mishap. I feel both happy and confident when flying at the limits of line-of-sight and also in atti mode, which is both useful and fun. In a nutshell, I very much enjoy this hobby which I have come to realize is more than just a passing phase.

The decision I now have to make is whether to invest some considerable money in a gimbal for the Vision to improve video stability, or buy a completely new machine, most probably a Phantom 3.

I really like the idea of a gimbal, but when the initial cost is subjected to the UK's import and handling charges, well, I'm half way financially towards a brand new machine. Decisions, decisions...!

I think I would wait for the Phantom 3 and compare it's features against the Inspire 1. Wouldn't be surprised if the Phantom 3 will approach $2000 here in the US...

I have a second P2V+V2 without a gimbal/camera and am toying with ways to get FPV and telemetry - lot's to consider: mounting, wiring, functionality....fun stuff!

I think what it comes down to is whether I really need a 2nd machine? If I go the gimbal route I can save some money; but I have to install and tune it, which bothers me a little as I am profoundly colour blind, so anything to do with fittings and installing different coloured wires is pretty much a no-no for me.

On the other hand, with the considerable price drop being applied to current Phantoms, a second machine, pretty much ready to fly right out of the box is now very tempting. All I am really looking for is an improvement in video stability, which a gimbal would provide. But having a second machine, ready to fly, is pretty tempting as well...

Since we still haven't heard anything about the P3, I would use the money towards a gimbal now and enjoy

GreyFox1, I recently bought a second drone, a version 2 to go with my version 3. I found one on ebay without a gimbal/camera or battery so I use it to practice with, then save my V3 for video shoots. I am also going to use the 2nd drone to play with mods, but most importantly, if something happens to either one, I'm still up and flying.

For my V2, I'm just going to fit it with a cheap CCTV camera so I can fly FPV and get telemetry. Only issue is I have to re-bind my transmitter every time I switch drones...

So I vote for a second drone!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj