2nd crash. Need help

Reaction score
My phantom 4 has crashed twice in the past 6 months for unknown reasons. Both times it was flying nice and then all of a sudden went into a tailspin, inverted and crashed. I know props were secure and before every flight I do quick tests before taking it to altitude. Both crashes were within 600 ft of home point and were no where near any obstructions. Has anyone else had any mysterious crashes that weren't human error with the P4? Anyone know what could cause this and any tips to prevent this in the future? looking for any advice tips or help. Thanks.

Twice? Really? Upload your flight log from the latest flight using the link below. ( It is on your device) and let others take a look at the Data. Be sure and post a link back here to your uploaded file.

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Here's the flight record

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-12_[12-05-51].txt
    677.6 KB · Views: 333
Can't figure out how to post data outside of the .txt file. Will not let me post the two file extensions that actually show the data. What type of file should be uploaded? I don't know how to read all this data and warnings. before the crash there is a bunch of "speed" warnings

Last edited:
At 440 seconds it was flying at around 30 mph in sport mode, with a large forward pitch of just under 40°. Just before you centered the elevator, it went into an uncontrolled spin with a rotational period of around 0.5 seconds, apparently rolling left, pitching backwards and yawing to the right, with immediate loss of forwards speed and altitude. See the attached graph.

Graph50.png

My first guess would be that it lost the rear right prop. Did you recover it with all the prop hubs attached? In terms of alternatives, possibly catastrophic failure of Gyro:X could fool the FC into thinking it had rolled left, leading it to try to correct for non-existent motion, but that seems less likely. The DAT file from the internal SD card would be very useful.

Reactions: BudWalker
I had a similar crash. My P4 was at 200 feet, perfect conditions, no obstructions, no birds and no wind! Sudenly it flipped upside down and powered its way down. I first realized it was headed DOWN and gave it more throttle to slow it down but not knowing it was inverted that was opposite of what it needed! It hit hard in leaves and soft ground about 25 feet from where I stood. The only real damage was the camera gimble would bind and all four props were damaged some broken. The drone was photographed with three battery led’s on and fourth blinking and the data still being transmitted per the noise observed on my cellphone video camera. I even cleaned off the mud and installed new props and it flew normally!!! Only two slightly bent arms and the binding gimble was all I could find wrong! One tough drone!!
However the disaster dealing with DJI Customer Non-Support is another matter!

My point being I’ve posted many many times trying to find anyone who had a Phantom flip over. In fact I don’t think it is possible if motors are running and props are intact. One can hold a Phantom inverted, toss it AWAY from the body and it will immediately right itself and return to hover at the release point! Amazing control for DJI’s drones but not so for CS!!!
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20