2k video

Reaction score
Is it better to record videos in 2k or 1080.

Is it better to record videos in 2k or 1080.
1st .. it's 2.7K
2nd .. That depends on what the video is for and what's important to you.
1080p video (full HD) is fine for most purposes but 2.7K video will have even more detail - but if it's only being shown on a 1080p (or lower) device, you won't see that.
2.7K video will have much larger file sizes than 1080p video.
Shoot some test videos in both and decide what's best for you.

If you ever want to grab stills from your video you should be shooting at max resolution, 2.7k for the P3A.

One thing to be aware of is some players might have a hard time playing 2.7k video. Software on PCs usually don't have a problem with squeezing the 2.7k frames down to 1080 or whatever your monitor size is, but some network streamers might have issues. For example, my Samsung Blu Ray player which I frequently use to stream media over my home network cannot stream the 2.7k video where it used to handle the 1080P video from the P3A fine.

1080p devices are more common than 2.7k. In my case, I'm watching most of my video clips in my mobile & tablet. Also, big files will take much longer to process hence, my recording preference is 720p 60 fps. Guess I'm the odd ball here :eek:

*Our 42" Samsung LCD converts the 720p to 1080p, the image still look great.

Last edited:
I have a 4k tv so i will have to find out if it will play 2.7

I think you need to make sure you have a fast memory card for the extra data transfer, like a SanDisk Extreme XC1 card. Also think about post production, what PC or Mac, as probably 2K, certainly 4K takes a whole load of processing power. Then again 4K only applies to the Pro.

I think you need to make sure you have a fast memory card for the extra data transfer, like a SanDisk Extreme XC1 card.
A faster (more expensive) SD card won't help in recording.
The transfer speed is set by the Phantom, not the card.
The only advantage of a more expensive SD card is that it's a bit faster downloading files from it.

Reactions: nickyb
You can do a test, download some 1080p & 4k contents. Then playback in your 4k TV. If the image from your TV results in day & night difference then it is worth recording in 4k otherwise 1080p is sufficient. Your TV will up-convert 1080p to 4k. See if the picture quality is obvious. Get a few family members (wife, kids, etc) to see & provide feedback. :)

A faster (more expensive) SD card won't help in recording.
The transfer speed is set by the Phantom, not the card.
The only advantage of a more expensive SD card is that it's a bit faster downloading files from it.
Thanks for the correction here.

If you are going to get a real winner shot. Best to get it at the highest resolution possible. Always.
You can easily downscale to HD (1080P) but impossible to upscale to 2.7K.
Shoot at highest resolution unless you have a real reason to do otherwise.

I have a 4k tv so i will have to find out if it will play 2.7
You would have a 4k tv to go with your lotus you flash sod..lol only joking, if you do and watch it back on your tv film in 2.7k mate

Reactions: lotusteve
I use Adobe Premiere Elements 14 (Just upgraded to 14 was at 13)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.