28 FAKE PROPS, NOW WHAT?

Reaction score
Hi!

Ok Im guilty, as a newbie, I bought like 10 or more pairs of not original selftightening props from eba, I got confused, they looked the same.
I dont have them here yet, any way, right now Im not planning to use them, so, what can i do with them, are they really so bad? Can i balance them? Or should i melt them in fire?

Thanx!

naturarquista said:
Hi!

Ok Im guilty, as a newbie, I bought like 10 or more pairs of not original selftightening props from eba, I got confused, they looked the same.
I dont have them here yet, any way, right now Im not planning to use them, so, what can i do with them, are they really so bad? Can i balance them? Or should i melt them in fire?

Thanx!

How much did you spend on them? If you dont mind me asking...

I bought 10 pairs! 70 US, made some errors, i bough 4 first, then i won an auction of 6 pairs.

:(

dkeshish said:
naturarquista said:
Hi!

Thanx!

naturarquista said:
I bought 10 pairs! 70 US, made some errors, i bough 4 first, then i won an auction of 6 pairs.

:(

dkeshish said:
naturarquista said:
Hi!

Thanx!

Your being hard on yourself. Everyone makes mistakes. I did the same thing. But after I got it I analyzed the pros and cons. Pro saved some money con I can crash a 1500 item by saving some money. Not worth it for me. Thats my 2 cents dude.i have 2 pairs of prop gaurds and 8 props that ill never use

naturarquista said:
Meta4 said:
10 pairs!!?? Were you considering going into business trimming hedges?

Yes actually, im not from US, and over here dealers double every US price.
I say dont take a chance. For me the p2v+ is a 1 time thing and if it breaks or flys away im done. Dont have deep pockets. Some people can get another one. Ultimately its your call. Im sure guys here use the imitation props.

naturarquista said:

If they are the white knock offs that sell on ebay & Amazon for half price (or less), I would just put them right back up on ebay and unload them. I've read nothing but horror stories about them, and its not worth the risk of losing a $1300 aircraft to save a few dollars on props. Get genuine DJI props and fly carefully.

naturarquista said:
Can i balance them? Or should i melt them in fire?
Thanx!

Balancing them won't help. They flex too much, and at some point they'll simply break or hit a prop guard (if you fly those). Melt em, use them in your food processor, or see if you can find a hat to mount them on. Just don't use them on your $1300 Phantom.

I dunno if they'll "simply break" just because they flex. Elastic flexible materials are often designed to flex without breaking. If you sit at a window seat near an aircraft wing you'll see that flex enormously but they don't generally break.
That said there have been SOME bad report about after market props so personally I wouldn't use them under these circumstances.

Why not try returning them. Ebayers are often very protective of their ratings and this is something I have exploited when I genuinely have considered something to be inferior and not fit for purpose. I have contacted a small number of sellers and explained my concerns, sometimes when I think a product is dreadful or dangerous and on another occasion when a latch on a moderately priced head torch didn't close very well. I've always approached my complaints politely and taken the stance "what can WE do about this" to imply I'm prepared to compromise NOT "I demand my money back" or "I will give you a bad rating if you don't meet my demands" though, that in my opinion is not. However in all but one instance I've either had a replacement, a discount or my money back in full. I've never had to return an item yet despite on some occasions offering to. The head tourch was a good example - much to my surprise, they apologised and sent out replacement.

I'm not condoning 'playing they system' but it's always worth asking. The worst that can happen is that they say no and you are int the position you were going to be in anyway. Be bold, be polite but be fair. If they make some sort of compromise that usually deserves positive feed back.

How can you tell the difference between fake carbon fiber props and the original ones?
I bought a set for around 40.00 (4 props). Now I don't know if they are original or not. How can I test them?
Regards

Dji props are not CF , don't use the CF props there's no reason , no benefit. There's tons of threads on this.

I don't get the fascination of CF props ? You see newbys on here all the time with like 5 post , and haven't even flown they're phantom and want CF props.
Is it the looks ? Why get a plus if you want to fly fast and aggressive ? It's not that kind of craft.
Plus I'm getting a little tired of Everytime you tell a newby to read the Manuel you get more or less corrected. It's not that I don't want to help , I do it all the time here , but how hard is it to just read the first page of the + forum.
I know that questions are the life blood of any forum , but don't make some of us feel guilty about asking someone to read the manual. I noticed a certain monitor locking topics and deleting post all of a sudden. Yeah sometimes it gets a little out if hand , but most forums work like this and straightens itself out eventually. I really don't think we need someone censoring what we say this much. yeah there's times why enough is enough , but seems as if this is happening more and more.
Well I got that out of my system.

Mori55 said:
I don't get the fascination of CF props ? You see newbys on here all the time with like 5 post , and haven't even flown they're phantom and want CF props.
Is it the looks ? Why get a plus if you want to fly fast and aggressive ? It's not that kind of craft.
Plus I'm getting a little tired of Everytime you tell a newby to read the Manuel you get more or less corrected. It's not that I don't want to help , I do it all the time here , but how hard is it to just read the first page of the + forum.
I know that questions are the life blood of any forum , but don't make some of us feel guilty about asking someone to read the manual. I noticed a certain monitor locking topics and deleting post all of a sudden. Yeah sometimes it gets a little out if hand , but most forums work like this and straightens itself out eventually. I really don't think we need someone censoring what we say this much. yeah there's times why enough is enough , but seems as if this is happening more and more.
Well I got that out of my system.
Couldnt agree with you more. I know exactly what you're talking about!

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
For me batteries and props are what keep my birds in the air, no third parties for me.

+1

Ummm... I think everyone knows how I feel about those X0X0X0 props... :) :D :lol: :roll:

-slinger

brunofcampos said:
How can you tell the difference between fake carbon fiber props and the original ones?
I bought a set for around 40.00 (4 props). Now I don't know if they are original or not. How can I test them?
Regards
Depends what brand they are. If they are ARRIS or Graupner, the surface is very smooth and shiny, no scuff marks or chips in leading/trailing edges, they do not flex at all along their entire length & they 'look' well made.
Fake ones are generally nylon props coated in CF resin. The surface feels lumpy. They bend near the outer edges & if you listen carefully as they flex them you can hear them 'cracking'. Not a good sign.... The edges are often burred or 'chipped' and the surfaces have evidence of sanding.
Cheap or fake ones are generally horribly unbalanced too.

Mori55 said:
Dji props are not CF , don't use the CF props there's no reason , no benefit. There's tons of threads on this.
I'd wager the majority of people who knock CF props and claim there is no benefit in using them, have not used them themselves or have failed to balance them resulting in poor flight characteristics and excessive vibration. Because they do not flex like plastic props, any unbalance is exaggerated significantly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20