2700mah batteries Pichler

The true-capacity 2700s I've seen appear to be slightly larger than a standard 2200, like 105x35x28. Batteries that are the same size as a 2200 but claim to be 2700 really need to be tested to confirm their true capacity/dimensions.

there are alot of 2700mah batteries here in germany for the phantom, i use the thundertiger 2700mah designed for the phantom, they are fatter then the original ones, using all the space in the phantom but same lenghts as the original, those are awesome in combination with the big battery door.

Daninho said:
there are alot of 2700mah batteries here in germany for the phantom, i use the thundertiger 2700mah designed for the phantom, they are fatter then the original ones, using all the space in the phantom but same lenghts as the original, those are awesome in combination with the big battery door.

Yeah, the Thunderpower and Hyperion 2700s are noticeably larger than standard 2200s. It's the same-size ones you have to be careful about.

ElGuano said:
Daninho said:

Yeah, the Thunderpower and Hyperion 2700s are noticeably larger than standard 2200s. It's the same-size ones you have to be careful about.

No, they are not, the lenghts of the thundertiger is the same as the original but they are much thicker, it needs some force to push them in, the original battery has a big gap above or under the battery when its in the phantom! That means the thundertiger just use the needed additional space in a different way

Daninho said:
ElGuano said:
Daninho said:

No, they are not, the lenghts of the thundertiger is the same as the original but they are much thicker, it needs some force to push them in, the original battery has a big gap above or under the battery when its in the phantom! That means the thundertiger just use the needed additional space in a different way

You're misunderstanding me; I'm very familiar with the exact dimensions of the battery compartment, as I'm running a 4400mah in mine, with spacers to raise the FC. My point is that the volume and dimensions of a battery labeled 2700mah should be significantly larger than a 2200; until recently that hasn't always been the case. Whether it's increased length, width or height affects how you can fit it in the Phantom, but it's got to be at least one of them.

You're misunderstanding me; I'm very familiar with the exact dimensions of the battery compartment, as I'm running a 4400mah in mine, with spacers to raise the FC. My point is that the volume and dimensions of a battery labeled 2700mah should be significantly larger than a 2200; until recently that hasn't always been the case. Whether it's increased length, width or height affects how you can fit it in the Phantom, but it's got to be at least one of them.

Thats true, a battery that has exactly the same dimensions as the original cant be a 2700mah, the thunder tiger i use has the same lenghts but its fatter, it weights 202g compared to 17x?g of the original, not sure exactly. So it has more volume and i have the feeling that this thunder tiger lipo is sold under many more labels.

Here is a picture of my battery, with this angle you cant see the difference in size but trust me, the 2700mah is fatter, more height.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/n7wy.jpg/

I found another great and well tested battery, many phantom owners use them in germany and austria.
They spend around 3 Minutes more flight time. This one is even more heavy
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_info.p ... id=9706252

202g is just about right for a 2700mah battery. Most bigger Phantom batteries nowadays increase the height (normally 24-25mm) to 28mm while keeping the length to ~106mm and the width to 35mm. That's actually good, because it lets you double them up inside the shell if you want to. 2700mah is really close to ideal from a size/weight perspective, especially for an unladen Phantom. If you really need >20 minutes for FPV or >15 minutes with a gimbal you can still go bigger, but the returns start to really diminish.

Beware of larger capacity batteries that are no larger or heavier these most likely are only larger capacity on the label. I remember a guy thats a gopro stockist asked a 3rd party battery company if they have larger capacity batteries for the gopro, their surprising response was "If you order over 1000 units we can print any capacity you want on the label" :lol:

I use this Thunder Power 2700 mAh. Same size than 2200 and very light. Check specs. 2 min longer flights.

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-products/DJI-BATT-UPGRADE.html

DJI-BATT-UPGRADE_1.jpg

Until recently, I'd agree with the size to capacity ratio, meaning a 2700mah battery must be bigger than a 2200mah . . .

But, the lipo battery itself (lithium batteries in general) has been breaking thru the limits of conventional batteries. The 2200mah DJI phantom battery is at least 1 year old in its design, and 1 year is enough for manufactures to improve their own products. . .

That said, empirical data of claimed capacity is the best thing to rely on. In my kit I have a 12v lithium-ion battery with a claimed capacity of 6800mah, I haven't tested it to be sure of it true capacity, but in terms of size, it would have to be close on the same volume as the dji 2200mah li-po battery. I think to think I'm up with things in terms of electronics, but these lithium batteries are starting to make me wonder about size/weight/capacity limits

Driffill said:
Until recently, I'd agree with the size to capacity ratio, meaning a 2700mah battery must be bigger than a 2200mah . . .

But, the lipo battery itself (lithium batteries in general) has been breaking thru the limits of conventional batteries. The 2200mah DJI phantom battery is at least 1 year old in its design, and 1 year is enough for manufactures to improve their own products. . .

That said, empirical data of claimed capacity is the best thing to rely on. In my kit I have a 12v lithium-ion battery with a claimed capacity of 6800mah, I haven't tested it to be sure of it true capacity, but in terms of size, it would have to be close on the same volume as the dji 2200mah li-po battery. I think to think I'm up with things in terms of electronics, but these lithium batteries are starting to make me wonder about size/weight/capacity limits

Essentially, you're saying there's a difference in chemistry. That may indeed be the case, and over time battery chemistries WILL and DO get better, guaranteed. But it's a pretty slow process to go from research to validation to manufacturing. At the same time, it's so easy (and really, an EXTREMELY common tactic) to exaggerate the rating on the label of a battery using non-standard test methods (or no testing at all). My Chinese 1050mah GoPro batteries all say "1300mah" on them and they're nowhere near that. Some sites selling them even have an extra field for "true capacity" because of the prevalence of this practice. Unless there's clear and evident proof that an rc battery maker has made some huge improvements in battery efficiency, I'm going with physics.

I think a lipo will always have a lower discharge capacity than a li-ion of the same volume; it's a consequence of the solid electrolyte. They names are similar but the chemistries are very different.

FWIW, I've found the DJI 2200s to be fantastic. They're true-rated and constructed extremely well, appear to outperform their C rating, and they're quite light for their rating. I've run into a few duds on the cheap from HK and will be sticking to the DJI batteries from now on.

ElGuano said:
Driffill said:

Essentially, you're saying there's a difference in chemistry. That may indeed be the case, and over time battery chemistries WILL and DO get better, guaranteed. But it's a pretty slow process to go from research to validation to manufacturing. At the same time, it's so easy (and really, an EXTREMELY common tactic) to exaggerate the rating on the label of a battery using non-standard test methods (or no testing at all). My Chinese 1050mah GoPro batteries all say "1300mah" on them and they're nowhere near that. Some sites selling them even have an extra field for "true capacity" because of the prevalence of this practice. Unless there's clear and evident proof that an rc battery maker has made some huge improvements in battery efficiency, I'm going with physics.

I think a lipo will always have a lower discharge capacity than a li-ion of the same volume; it's a consequence of the solid electrolyte. They names are similar but the chemistries are very different.

FWIW, I've found the DJI 2200s to be fantastic. They're true-rated and constructed extremely well, appear to outperform their C rating, and they're quite light for their rating. I've run into a few duds on the cheap from HK and will be sticking to the DJI batteries from now on.

I agree, the original lipos are well made, i use the 2700mah thunder tiger lipos but when i fly full throttle in ATT mode the LOW Battery warning can appear and in one case the copter "landed" because of this. So i guess the C number is not honest, that never happend with the original battery. Its not a big deal for me because i always fly flow and smooth cause of the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl