21 Degrees 21mph Wind

Reaction score
Knowing that we have had some pilots recently asking about winter vPlus flying, I thought I would share with you guys have nothing to worry about....except frost bite!

Some of you know I'm currently into doing Top Speed flights with the badass vPlus. I got a surprise this afternoon after hearing a gust a wind across our fire place chimney. I had not paid any attention to the wind forecast since recently setting a new personal best. Also we are currently 20-30 degrees below the normal temp for this time of the year, and which all the middle part of the US is experiencing as well. So I heard another gust of wind, I grab my cellphone right away. I then begin checking out what amount of wind in the forecast that I had to look forward to. And......just what I wanted to see....27-29mph gust were forecasted. I checked my weather station and the max wind gust at that time was 21mph which is what I had when setting my personal best last week.

It then popped in my mind that 21+mph and 21 degrees equals a 5 degree windchill factor, and is NOT something a normal person would get excited about. :oops: But that thought didn't last long and out to the shop I go to round up some warm gear to wear. So I go out to begin and wind was building up as I could hear it rolling up out of the valley to my west and through the trees in the woods on top of it. I tried cheating and set my quad closer to the house which was blocking a good amount at that time. But all that did was cause me to be outside longer because of coarse when getting that close to the house it blocked 3 GPS's I needed to get home point. So I drag the launch pad back to the normal spot and waited a little until 6 popped up. I end up doing a total of two separate missions that was around 6 flight pass attempts. I had enough and shut it all down. I forgot to mention we had 3 inches of snow which with the wind gust was a factor today for me. Strange part to this day is that one year ago to this day we had a Tornado that damaged a lot around 10 miles south of where I live.

I have video but I will only put it up when I can include an accomplishment with it. Out of my 6 attempts today I only had one with a some-what decent gust of wind.

Attachments

• Nov17th3P.jpg
    Nov17th3P.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 580
Looks like I'll be flying in 33F degree (22F windchill) temps in the New York metro area on Wednesday because I'm scheduled to fly a site where we have a project. Not looking forward to freezing my a** off, but will do my best to dress warm. I picked up a pair of gloves that work with touch screens, but they are pretty thin in order to give me a bit of dexterity -- so I don't expect them to be very warm. Seeing that you are in an even colder part of the U.S., have you had any issues operating the touch screen or with its responsiveness in the cold? How about battery life?

Yes after 10 minutes my Nexus 7 tablet becomes almost to the point of not working. I have to try rubbing while pressing down at the same time, and sometimes it will work on the 1st or 2nd attempt, and it may take up to 8-10 tries.

From experience.....that fact that you will be in 33 degree temps will actually make a big difference. I wore a fat insulated glove on my left hand after I climbed to the altitude I wanted to fly at. I wore nothing on the right hand which really got to me after 10-12 minutes I was outside. I have been frost bitten on the fingers of that hand and because of that, my fingers will not last a long exposed to the colder temps. I can not fly with any kind of glove on that hand, yet. I flew a lot this past winter and 18 degrees was my cutoff for flying in cold temps. 30 degrees is like a heat wave after flying in 18 degrees.

Frank you need to pick up a pair of those woolen gloves with fingerlets and a pull-over mitten top. The mitten top folds back so your fingertips are free, but most of your fingers are covered for warmth and you can pull the mitten down when it becomes unbearable. Don't recall where I found those things but I love 'em.

Dirty Bird said:
Frank you need to pick up a pair of those woolen gloves with fingerlets and a pull-over mitten top. The mitten top folds back so your fingertips are free, but most of your fingers are covered for warmth and you can pull the mitten down when it becomes unbearable. Don't recall where I found those things but I love 'em.

Great advice DB!

Attachments

• 1fingerpullover.jpeg
    1fingerpullover.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 1fingerpullover2.jpg
    1fingerpullover2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 455
  • 1fingerpullover3.jpg
    1fingerpullover3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 458
Very nice I tried flying above a snow storm a couple days back without success got 2500' up but was still in the storm. It was kind of cool knowing the phantom was OK during the snowfall

flyNfrank said:
Knowing that we have had some pilots recently asking about winter vPlus flying, I thought I would share with you guys have nothing to worry about....except frost bite!

Some of you know I'm currently into doing Top Speed flights with the badass vPlus. I got a surprise this afternoon after hearing a gust a wind across our fire place chimney. I had not paid any attention to the wind forecast since recently setting a new personal best. Also we are currently 20-30 degrees below the normal temp for this time of the year, and which all the middle part of the US is experiencing as well. So I heard another gust of wind, I grab my cellphone right away. I then begin checking out what amount of wind in the forecast that I had to look forward to. And......just what I wanted to see....27-29mph gust were forecasted. I checked my weather station and the max wind gust at that time was 21mph which is what I had when setting my personal best last week.

It then popped in my mind that 21+mph and 21 degrees equals a 5 degree windchill factor, and is NOT something a normal person would get excited about. :oops: But that thought didn't last long and out to the shop I go to round up some warm gear to wear. So I go out to begin and wind was building up as I could hear it rolling up out of the valley to my west and through the trees in the woods on top of it. I tried cheating and set my quad closer to the house which was blocking a good amount at that time. But all that did was cause me to be outside longer because of coarse when getting that close to the house it blocked 3 GPS's I needed to get home point. So I drag the launch pad back to the normal spot and waited a little until 6 popped up. I end up doing a total of two separate missions that was around 6 flight pass attempts. I had enough and shut it all down. I forgot to mention we had 3 inches of snow which with the wind gust was a factor today for me. Strange part to this day is that one year ago to this day we had a Tornado that damaged a lot around 10 miles south of where I live.

I have video but I will only put it up when I can include an accomplishment with it. Out of my 6 attempts today I only had one with a some-what decent gust of wind.

Hey Frank - just 200 mi west of you in Peoria IL - I was out as well in about the same conditions and my P2V+ flew perfectly thru 3 batteries.

I too have had frostbite on both hands back in my army days, I have similar gloves that was posted, they are nice, yet my fingers go numb with the slightest bit of cold.... I thoight id ground my bird for the winter but your talk about flying in the snow makes me kinda excited for the next big snowstorm....

I too have had frostbite on both hands back in my army days, I have similar gloves that was posted, they are nice, yet my fingers go numb with the slightest bit of cold.... I thoight id ground my bird for the winter but your talk about flying in the snow makes me kinda excited for the next big snowstorm....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj