2 P2V+'s one controller max problems

Reaction score
I recently crashed/trashed my P2V+ due to battery failure and it is currently in the mail to be repaired. In the interim I acquired a NIB P2V+ and when attempting to bind/link my original advanced controller w/FPVLR stage 2 kit on it I have had nothing but problems. Link seems straight forward and everything works just like the manual. The bind on the other had is a total goat rope. Scanning the QR code is a mess at best as the QR code on the P2V is for the Vision app but as you can see by the attachments I manually enter what appears to be a MAC address that is under the confusing QR code and it appears to bind. From there I get two problems. One is no video to the app and just a blank screen with the forever whirygig. If I repeat the link/bind process the video to the app will work sometimes but when it does I get a orange light on the controller which indicates a need for stick calibration. When I do the stick calibration I only get one way travel and when I use the view panel my range goes to 1000 on the right but never past 0 when I attempt to go to the left. I have no clue how change that.
Fails with both ipad mini @ 8.4 and iphone 6+ @ IOS 8.3
20150705-DSC01100.jpg
20150705-DSC01102.jpg
P2V+.JPG
IMG_0090.jpg
. All firmware and apps at latest levels Any suggestions appreciated.

binding the controller and binding the wifi extender are 2 different things.
I use one controller for 2 birds with no problem whatsoever. but i still use 2 different wifi extenders, I haven't had time to try and see if one can work with both.

From searching other threads it seems conceivably sound to use one controller and one wifi extender for two different birds as long as you first do a link between the controller and bird and then a bind between the app the wifi extender and the camera.Was hoping someone could clarify the process and explain exactly what the link process does and how that communication takes place. Also what components are involved in the bind process and how to acquire the correct mac address to use in the process. Also what QR code do you scan to acquire the mac id? I have scanned every QR code on all of the components and doc and none of them are a mac address. Also when doing the bind from the app and you try to scan the QR code it gives an access denied message which is very confusing.

macsoft thank you for your input.

There are lots of youtube videos that show you how to bind a wifi extender to a phantom bird. try this one:

Now using the same remote on 2 birds works great for the transmitter. You can bind one transmitter with 2 birds with no problem.
But the wifi extender is another subject. You can't have one extender binded with 2 birds. You have to rebind each time you change bird :S
One solution is to have 2 wifi extenders and just one transmitter. Or.. you just go thru the binding process on the wifi extender each time you change bird.

Macsoft:
Excellent video that I had viewed previously and a couple more like it. I have followed the video exactly including the avoidance of the confusing QR code. Perhaps I could clarify my situation by saying I am presently trying to attempt to link and bind only one transmitter, one wifi extender and one P2V+. If and when my original P2V+ is repaired I would like to use my advanced transmitter and wifi extender with FPVLR Stage 2 kit with both P2V+'s by using the process you described. In the mean time I still get either a loss of live video or stick calibration issues after what appears to be a successful bind.
Thank you for the link and your input.

To reduce this problem to the most simplistic form I am now using a NIB P2V+ advanced controller with the original NIB P2V+ which was documented with photos at the beginning of this thread. What I did was follow the manual and do a link between the NIB P2V+ and the NIB P2V+ advanced controller. Everything went according to script. I then did a power cycle and did a bind using the 60601F03e644 MAC ID located under the QR code on the Phantom and everything went according to script. Did another power cycle and then did the stick and advanced IMU calibrations via Phantom 2 vision assistant. Did another power cycle and brought up the DJI Vision app and everything works except no video. Same results using FPV booster app and same with both apps on iPhone 6+.
What I need to know is who are the session partners using the bind? I realize one end has to be the camera in order to xfer video to the app you are using but where does the Mac Address come in to play on the WiFi extender shown in the attachment? The bind is merely a operation setting up the rules of the session between the two end partners but who are the end partners in this case? Phantom camera, wifi extender, and app are all involved but who is the session end partners and where does the mac address in the wifi extender come in to play.
Attaching photos show result of latest bind and the mac id label from the NIB advanced controller. Any input greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150711-DSC01105.jpg
    20150711-DSC01105.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    486.9 KB · Views: 385
You bind the wifi extender to the Phantom wifi receiver. Use the 6 digits from the MAC address on the bottom of the Phantom. It's under the QR scan code under the battery slot.

Yes I agree and that is exactly the way I am bound but no video to the app and everything else works. The link and bind occurred exactly like the manual describes and everything works fine except for no video using either the DJI Vision app or FPV booster app.
Googlefu reveals the QR code has 5 parameters of which 3 are generic and point to dji and another is the mac id needed for the bind and the last is the camera s/n.
Have found several threads with identical symptoms as mine and they claim they solved it by scanning the qr code on the shipping box for the mac id. I"ve tried 3 different IOS QR code scanners and all I can get is a link to the Vision app no matter how many times I scan it. If anyone has gotten this QR scan thing to work could you tell me what you used for an app and how you used it?
The other option I found was to call DJI and tell them your camera s/n and they will email you the camera mac id in a few days.

Last edited:
Just for curiosity's sake look in you phone that you are trying to bind to and under setting the look for the DJI app and see if it is toggle on to use cellular data and has allowable permissions. It needs to access wifi, GPS and other needed data. Also make sure that Bluetooth is turned off. Hope you can find the culprit. Only other recommendation is to delete the app and all it dat and re-install so it sets up the needed permissions. Those are the only thinks I can suggest one you know you are properly bound to the wifi in the quad using the MAC address of the copter and not the extender.

RoyVA:
Excellent suggestions but unfortunately I've tried them all. Just for grins I did them again. Using my iphone 6+ @ IOS 8.3 there is no cell data permission for either the DJI app or FPV booster but does have access to GPS through location services. Bluetooth has always been off on my iPhone but I have to have it on with my ipad mini because I am using an external GPS. Hence the need for IOS 8.4 on the ipad mini because there is an IOS bug on 8.3 that effectively disables external gps. Many variables at work here. I deleted and reinstalled the app on my iphone with same results.
Also tried the link and the bind again. No cigar
My wifi connection shows Phantom _636d1d which is mac address of my wifi repeater where my failing video connection travels from the camera to the app via the wifi repeater. The bind parameter in the DJI app shows the SSID of FC200_03e644 and a Mac Address of 60601f03e644 which is the same as below the QR code on the Phantom. I would really like to validate that the Mac Address I am taking from just below the QR code on the Phantom. I would like to know how to acquire the Mac address from the QR code on the shipping box that has 5 different imbedded codes and no documented method to retrieve them. That piece is a total goat rope and needs to be documented/clarified.
Somewhere in this 2.4ghz video link is my problem. I live in a very remote area of Alaska and the only other 2.4ghz signal is my home wifi which I have turned off several times just to test but has not been a problem with my P3 another P2 and 4 other DIY Naza based units.
Thank you for some very good suggestions.
Bob

As an update I just tried it with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 @ Android 4.4.2 with the same failure. Interesting fact is using the Android version of DJI Vision doing the bind you do not get the not authorized message like IOS when selecting the QR scan button. The scan actually starts but it will not recognize the QR code on either the bottom of the Phantom or the shipping box.

Last edited:
Bob, I can understand you frustration with this being a NIB unit. You have taken all the normal necessary steps to get it to bind and work. At this point I only see two alternatives. The first is who ever you both the unit from try to get an exchange. If that is not feasible then contact DJI support and tell them the issue and the steps you have done. They will most likely want you to RMA the unit. The only other alternative would be to completely kill the firmware and reload it to see if that resolves the issue. That would be my unauthorized step to do to see if I could fix it before doing the RMA. You seem to be pretty tech savvy so not a major issue. There are YouTube videos with step by step instructions on reloading the firmware. Of course that's your call. Good luck with either direction. Keep us updated we are alway trying to soak up information and fixes.

Ignore the QR scanning codes.
I don't know the history of your phantom, but there could be chance the wifi module's mac address is not correct.

Download an android app called wifi analyser. Turn on phantom and do a scan. The wifi analyser app will determine the mac address of the wifi module inside the phantom. Note down the wifi mac address and place a label on your phantom. Go through the binding process:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phantom_2_Vision-Preparing_the_Range_Extender
Make sure add the last 6 characters and press done to apply setting.

If you get telemetry and no fpv, this could also mean:
1. damaged cables, the 3 from phantom down to the gimbal board.
2. dead wifi module.

Mako79:
Everything being used in this problem is NIB never been flown. I downloaded the wifi analyser android app and when I power up just the phantom I see the 60601f03e644 mac addr which convinces me the mac address is the same as what I have been using. When I power up the wifi repeater I see the 60601f636d1d mac address which is on the decal on the wifi repeater. This also tells me the wifi module is not completely dead. Can see no visible cable damage but have not taken anything apart. Regarding the wifi module keep in mind two different wifi repeaters fail identically. One is NIB never been used and another that had previously worked.
Thank you for your excellent suggestions.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj