2 newbie questions

Reaction score
Flying around our new house that has a lot of area but surrounded by trees if I want to explore. I Went to about 300 feet and wanted to check out a pond the last owner told me about off in the woods. I was up 300 feet and out 1874 feet and got a weak video warning so I hit reverse immediately. Question is if I lost vid completely do I still have remote control of the drone? Could I hit return to home? I could see it (A Spec) way out but at the distance would be hard to see what direction I was going without vid.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Question is if I lost vid completely do I still have remote control of the drone? Could I hit return to home?
You might. The video usually drops out before the remote controller connection. If the remote controller is still connected to your Phantom, you can hit return to home. If it's not, your Phantom will automatically return to home after the remote controller connection is lost for 3 seconds.

Note: Your Phantom will return to home by default when the remote controller connection is lost. There is a setting in the DJI GO app that will allow you to tell your Phantom to auto land or hover in place instead of returning home.

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Question is if I lost vid completely do I still have remote control of the drone?
Yes the video and transmitter are separate. You do not need video to control the bird. Look at the transmitter if you have a green light that means you are connected. I suggest you practice flying without video..

Could I hit return to home?
Yes you could hit return to home it would return as specified in the app.

I'm going to suggest really going through the manual and settings. I would not fly again until I fully understood the return to home settings. Not properly employing RTH is a big pilot error problem for new Phantom pilots.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
In the lower left corner, of the DJI GO screen, you have the little red triangular shaped direction pointer.
If you loose video you could simply use your left stick to rotate around so it was flying toward you, and then use the right stick (in reverse direction) to bring it back into range, or all the way home.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
[emoji106] yup

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

you should look into getting that litchi app or something like it, so you can fly auto missions. you can just use google earth to see where you want to go, and then plot that course in the app and it will fly it without you having to control it. a lot of people say you shouldn't fly it out of sight, but they're just being overly careful - not a law or anything.. i've done it lots of times over people and houses and never had any problems. its a really cool way of being able to film things you wouldn't be able to film flying it manually.

As said, you have RTH in case of aircraft disconnection, that activates automatically so you don't even have to do anything. The radar icon at lower left of screen shows you orientation so you can point the bird back to you even when you cant see it anymore. Make sure your RTH altitude is set high enough to clear any obstacles in your path on the way back home..

I use the radar screen in the left corner when I loose orientation. Never really liked using RTH. Yaw the red triangle toward you then push the right stick forward...and always check your altitude on your screen to make sure you clear any obstacles on the way back. Practice it next time you fly.

I would leave litchi alone. When you have some experience, then start flying autonomous flights. I would concentrate on the basics until you understand the flight basics and warning signs. Every now and then something wonky will happen in flight. The few times it has happened switching to ATTI mode his enabled me to bring it back without a problem.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Flew 24 miles total over the weekend and had a blast. Had a couple of video disconnects and did as you all said, followed the map/ radar until it came back on. I did lose remote one time and it did RTH until it reconnected. With all the trees I don't get great range. I had a spotter and got out about half mile but that's it, no more range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers