2 Motors stopped working

Reaction score
I went to fly today, and the 2 rear motors would not operate properly. No matter what the throttle or control inputs were, the motors would only spin about a constant 50 RPM in a very choppy motion. No crashes or any other issues ever. I reinstalled all drivers and firmware, recalibrated, to no avail. I am going to think about opening to check for a cold solder some where, as has been reported, but I am afraid of voiding the warrantee. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? Thanks...

Odd that two would go, but also odd that only two would go if you see what I mean. Unlikely to be cold solder as each motor has its own ESC. You haven't removed prop guards recently, have you? Or tipped over onto the rears in a prior landing?

Have you tried plugging the aircraft into the Assistant software and checking all the calibration factors (including transmitter) in case the two motors are getting an idle signal for some reason?

Phantasmic said:
Count said:
I went to fly today, and the 2 rear motors would not operate properly. No matter what the throttle or control inputs were, the motors would only spin about a constant 50 RPM in a very choppy motion. No crashes or any other issues ever. I reinstalled all drivers and firmware, recalibrated, to no avail. I am going to think about opening to check for a cold solder some where, as has been reported, but I am afraid of voiding the warrantee. Has anyone experienced this or have any ideas? Thanks...

Have you ever installed prop guards?

:) Great minds, and all that....

YES, I have, and oddly the problem happened immediately after. I thought it could be related, and removed the prop guards, but the problem persists. PLEASE tell me more!!! What have I done?

****! I thought I checked them carefully, but I guess not. I did go to Ace and buy the next size up in length in order to install them. I felt no resistance when spinning the motors after installation. I presume I am not the first, obviously, but I have scoured this forum and have never seen mention of it. So, given the opportunity, would any of you contemplate upgrading all 4 motors to a better, faster, more powerful, and/or more reliable motor? What would some suggestions be? I presumint there is no saving the motors???

Apparently too-long screws can go right into the motor and cut into the motor windings,
cutting or shorting the relatively fine wires there.

The guards usually come with suitable-length screws to use to mount the guard, but
when removing the guard, the original SHORTER screws must be used to re-fasten the
motor, since the screws for mounting the guard are too long to be used without the guard.

So, if that is what you did, and the motors no longer function, that is very likely the problem.

Could the motor be fixed? Most likely Yes, but the time and labor to do it are far more than
the cost of a new motor.

Sadly this is happening "n" to many times... I've added a caveat to the Upgrade Firmware instructional where all new PV'ers can at least see it. I wish they'd put it in the instructions with the guards where it belongs (if there are any).

iDrone :cry:

A postscript to Count... Consider yourself fatefully fortunate... had the motors not confessed on the landing pad, they might have confessed $1200 later as has been the misfortune of others. Get new motors (get all four just in case the other two also got nicked by the longer screws and set them aside as spares) and get on with flying. The sooner you get it behind you the better you'll feel knowing you've fixed them right (or "properly" in UK parlance).

iDrone :)

Just curious as I've not had the need to take my P2V apart...are the motors, ESC's, and other electronics all hard wired (soldiered)or do they have connectors inside for easy replacement?

I am the OP. Yes, everything is "hard wired". All connections are soldered. I took the cover of my P2V after the "bad news" I received earlier in the thread. Before biting the bullet and buying new motors, I am going to remove one of the good motors and replace it in the position of one of the "toasted" motors, just to be certain. It looks to be a simple job: 3 wires to unsolder and resolder. Any advice on the replacement motors, as I earlier asked?

Count said:
...Any advice on the replacement motors, as I earlier asked?
It's early and few have upgraded motors unless they had to replace damaged ones. Some have tried Tiger motors, you can read about one of those attempts here: http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5382&p=39326 the choice is entirely up to you. FYI replacement Vision motors are in stock now at most dealers. Choose wisely.

iDrone

A beginner, like me, would not know how to choose wisely on motor
replacements. Tiger or OEM, which is better, and why, please?

Read Jax Quad's post to find out "why", then send him a PM to find out if he ever resolved his problems after installing Tiger's to find out "which". He's the first to try 3rd party aftermarket & publish his results.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4