2 flyways in 2 days

Reaction score
ok this sucks. so my nephew got a new P2 with the hd3d gimbal. came saturday. hooked everything up fpv was working with mini osd. went to fly yesterday got green lights took off switched to gps mode everything looks good. about 1 minute into flight about 15' AGL we see FS ATT in goggles. P2 just starts flying left and nothing we can do to stop it. turn tx off nothing. luckily it hits a tree and drops. broken prop is only damage lots of leaves. take it home hook it up to computer and check imi everything looks fine. recalibrated and everything went okay. FS is set to go home and land. went to different field today and pretty much same thing happened this time about 3 minutes into flight we see same thing FS ATT. no control. turn tx off and back on finally we see land in goggles and it landed about 700' away from us. this thing is brand new. DJI has a serious problem

It's probably easier for people to help diagnose what happened if you have a video.

Can you post a video for us to look at?

Doesn't anyone learn to fly bare bones anymore. The first thing I tell people who buy one with everything is not to install anything until you have a 3-4 batteries under your belt. That way if your a rookie and crash you have only broken the Phantom

FASTFJR said:
Doesn't anyone learn to fly bare bones anymore. The first thing I tell people who buy one with everything is not to install anything until you have a 3-4 batteries under your belt. That way if your a rookie and crash you have only broken the Phantom

Exactly, just buy a cheap Syma X1, some extra batteries and multi battery charger (and maybe some cheap replacement parts) and learn to fly in a park, over grass (makes the drone almost indestructible).

If you have xbox/ps3 controller, download the heli-x simulator and you can learn the tricks in demo mode as well (Phantom is one of the available drones).

People would actually save a lot of money/time that way. After getting the phantom they would be suprised how easy it is to fly one compared to the trainer drones.

Wifi off on the GoPro?

...Skeeter
since 1960....

Sounds like they didn't wait for the second green GPS record lights, flew off in ATTI, then somehow instigated the Failsafe mode.

dragonash said:
was i the only one who found it weird that he switched to GPS mode after he took off?
Would that matter?

I was wondering about that too, and how they got green lights before that was done.

Sounds like something (gopro wifi perhaps) is killing the signal and when FS kicks in it heads towards whatever home point it had recorded.

ok so i guess i should cleanup the confusion. not a rookie at all. been flying rc helix since 1984. my nephew has a P1, P2, and now the new P2 with hd3d gimbal, i have 2 tbs discos, disco pro and s800. we film and he helps me. everything is mounted fine. did compass calibration on both flights first because it was new and second because i redid everything on computer and went to a new field. waited for all green lights and had 11 sats in goggles before we took off. i have taken off in gps lots of times no problems. all my machines have naza on them so not bashing them. wifi is not on. fpv on this machine is 5.8. i have 2.4 and 1.3 on others with no problems. this one is stock tx. don't have video it was just going to be a quick flight to see how everything was working. the quad did nothing crazy just wouldn't respond and started heading left of us. stayed same altitude the whole way. this ws the first time i have ever seen FS ATT in goggles. we took the other P2 out over 4 miles and came back and when it would go into failsafe we see GPS FS. it has never switched itself into ATT. and when it goes into fail safe it would stop and hover for a bit then come back towards home. this never stopped or hovered.

dragonash said:
was i the only one who found it weird that he switched to GPS mode after he took off?
Would that matter?

Nope, chalk this up to user error. This is not a fly away.

So explain the user error. Switching into gps after take off. And all the birds I have I can take off and land in GPS mode with never a problem. Would love to hear your expertise

Your other birds take off and land fine in GPS mode because that's how the NAZA is designed. Is there a particular reason you aren't putting the Phantom in GPS mode prior to launch?

+1 GoPro wifi on

So again wifi gopro is off. And so you are telling me that you can't take off in manual or ATT mode because it's not designed that way? Or that this naza is completely different from the others and the P1 and P2 that we have? No one on this board has ever taking off in ATT mode? I know a lot of people post about not taking off in GPS mode cause bird will tilt over, I have never had that happen but they have and they take off in ATT.

I would be very surprised if you can't take off in ATTI. Recording the heading and home point happens regardless of mode. So why would it matter what mode you use to take off? I've heard from a couple people that ATTI is better for takeoff and landing as it removes GPS precision errors that can cause the Phantom to move slightly when you don't want it to.

Dude that sux. In reading your posts it does sound like you have a fishy phantom. Nothing about your crash sounds like user error to me.
Sorry I can't help with any decent advice apart from take it back.

-H

well thanks to both of you for proving i am not crazy and you have to take off in GPS mode. i would consider myself pretty experienced considering we took out the P2 over 4 miles away with 1.3 vtx and made it back with windsurfer mod with no problems but i can't fly a brand new one 50' away. talked to dealer and they want us to send it back to check on it. hopefully when we get it back it will fly better.

hjscm said:
well thanks to both of you for proving i am not crazy and you have to take off in GPS mode. i would consider myself pretty experienced considering we took out the P2 over 4 miles away with 1.3 vtx and made it back with windsurfer mod with no problems but i can't fly a brand new one 50' away. talked to dealer and they want us to send it back to check on it. hopefully when we get it back it will fly better.

There's no reason why you can't take off in ATTI or manual and switch in and out of GPS in flight. I think OI was just asking if there was a reason you chose a different procedure in this case; it's very hard to diagnose problems over the internet and you often need to read between the lines to get at what people may be doing differently or wrong. Sending back to the dealer is a good move, hope you get it resolved.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20