2 flashing yellow lights - will not start (w/video)

Reaction score
Hi all.

It's been about a year since I last used my Phantom Vision 2.
When I try to start it, I get only 2 flashing LEDs (back). The front LEDs are dark (no lights at all).
Motor is not responding. And I cannot calibrate the GPS (do the DJI dance).

The device is stock. No mods or upgrades of either software or firmware.

I have crashed it a couple of times, though. But it flew fine after that, and fine when last using it.

Any clues?

It looks to me like the bird is not bound to the Tx.

Let's check
By turning bird on WITHOUT Tx being on, see if we see same behavior?

If so then:
With bird on, Tx off, On the right side of bird, on belly by landing gear, there is a lighted button, press it until it turns yellow then turn Tx on, should bind automatically

Let us know!

And also, please don't fly with those props, your asking for trouble! They look really bad! Just sayin!

Take care, Fly safe!
J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I booted without transmitter. Same error, but a little faster flashing lights.

Since this isn't exactly the same error, I didn't dare to fiddle with the (red) lighted button on the belly.

What's your idea for the next step?

About the props. Yea, they are bought on a cheap Chinese net shop. My bad. I will see if I can find original ones to buy... Thanks for the heads up!

It is going to sound strange, but looks like Tx is ok, as errors are obviously different, that happened to me once at Disney, wifi issues, as they use scramblers as it is a no fly zone. Try turning on, and physically pick bird up to chest height, and hold there, see if you get normal lights. Might be ground interference? Mine would do that then when I picked it up, normal, put it down, error, up normal.weird?
Unfortunately I don't have video of the first time, with only yellow lights, but here is another video, of some weird stuff mine did? Never did figure it out, only happened that one time?

Here is the clip:

Let me know, I'll ask around my group of friends, see what we can come up with?

J Dot

Hey,
I just watched your video again, on your Tx, the TOP RIGHT SWITCH, is set to fail safe! Switch it all the way up to GPS MODE! Both switches should be UP at startup!

J Dot

Hey again. Thanks for helping me out.

Finally had some time to try again.
The strangest thing happened...

I did what you said (both switches UP). Still the same 2 yellow lights when booting. However, I left it on for a while, when suddenly the 2 lights turned green!
I decided to try and start it. And what do you know, the motors came alive and it lifted off!

But it seemed to drift a little....
2 lights were green, and 2 lights red. See video.

From what I can remember all 4 lights should be green before liftoff. And it shouldn't drift.
Everything still doesn't seem right....
(Video in next post)

2 red and 2 green is correct. The front lights are always red in flight! Do a calibration and I bet you will drift less!

Sent from my PT beating heart

Yes fronts are alwYs red,
Did you replace your props? They could be your problem as well as compass calibration!

J Dot

Hi again.

Compass calibration. Well, that's part of the problem. As I only get 2 lights upon booting, nothing is normal. When I try to repeatedly flick the switch, nothing happens (2 yellow lights still blinking). And when I do the "dji dance", still nothing happens (still blinking yellow).

What on earth is wrong?

I have not replaced the props. I have a couple of carbon fibre props somewhere. Will try and find them.

Hello again,
Let's start with this, I made you a video of my P2v starting up ( normal startup )
Does that look like yours?

Ok,
Sounds like your S1 is either NOT working, or is not calibrated, or setup right?

Next you mentioned, you crashed a couple times! Usually when you have a crash, or hard landing, ect. You would want to hook your phantom to PC ASSISTANT, and run either BASIC, or ADVANCED IMU CALIBRATION! Have you done that?
( this will recalibrate, and reset, your compass, gyroscope, and accelerometer setting back to good ) these items are what keep your bird, Stable, straight, and in the same spot! ( without drifting too much ).

So
First:
Download and install ( DJI RC ASSISTANT ) if you have not already from DJI.com
Next
Download and install ( DJI PC ASSISTANT, and DRIVER ) if you have not yet

Once installed
If your Tx does NOT have an external USB on it, remove 4 screws on back, open Tx to access internal USB. Use supplied DJI data cable ( USB to miniUSB CABLE ) hook Tx to computer, run RC ASSISTANT.
Turn on remote, wait for a link ( you'll see 2 lights flashing bottom of computer screen ( 1 green 1 blue )
Once linked, CALIBRATE BOTH STICKS, " U " ( S2 switch ), " X1 " ( note below ), and " X2 " ( S1 switch )
( note X1 only if you have dial wheel Tx, or 7th channel mod ( lever on rear of remote to tilt camera )
Turn off Tx, then back on, make sure nothing changed, and calibration took! If Ok, turn off unhook plug, close RC assistant! Put remote back together, replace 4 screws, CAREFUL NOT TO PINCH ANY WIRES INSIDE TX.
( also if you are switching your switch, but nothing is happening on assistant, than your switch is bad! Needs replaced )

Next
Open PC ASSISTANT, plug the plug on phantom this time. Turn on Tx, then phantom, wait for a link ( same 2 lights blinking )
Now
Open BASIC TAB
Then open RC TAB
now calibrate BOTH STICKS, click finish ( follow warnings onscreen ), next calibrate X1 ( if applicable ) and X2 click finish
Ok
Now open TOOLS TAB
SELECT ADVANCED TAB bottom left.( MAKE SURE BIRD IS SETTING LEVEL, and firm ( no wobbling, ect )
Run ADVANCED IMU CALIBRATION, IGNORE overheat or IMU too hot warnings, as it always says that, click through it, let it finish calibration.
Turn off phantom ( also known as power cycle ) while still hooked up, turn it on again, double check all changes stuck, if all good turn off everything, unhook bird, close assistant.

Now final step
Go outside ( in a field or somewhere away from power lines, cables, metal, ect. Now do a compass calibration ( DJI DANCE ), switch S2 up-down-up-ect several times until phantom lights turn solid yellow ( if switch don't work, you can calibrate though app as well!
( you might want to make sure app is up to date )

That is it! But you need to put some good props on there, as I'm sure a lot of that wobbling/drifting is from those props!

Ring me if you get stuck, I'll be on for a while still!

J Dot
Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4