2 Encounters this weekend-and they were both good!

Reaction score
Went flying both Saturday and Sunday and had encounters with people both days.
First day, I get to my spot near Pasadena Florida. There is an old pier that isn't used anymore but people still fish there. When I get there I see an SUV backed up with a man and woman standing behind it watching the water. The guy said hi as I walked up so I asked him if he and his wife would be bothered if I launch my drone from there and fly it over the water. He said no!...he would be thrilled. He mentions he has a couple$50 dollar drones he plays with.
As I'm into my 3rd battery he has spent a lot of time talking with me, asking questions...and his wife says 'my husband already has his xmas present picked out thanks to you'!!
I loved when I showed him the view on the tablet. He asks 'how much does this wind bother it'. I reply 'that's live video you're looking at'. He couldn't believe it!!

Sunday I'm flying over the intercoastal to ocean inlet near Sand Key. Tons of boats out, and I was filming some waverunners.
I see a woman coming towards me and get this feeling of dread. She looked like she was on a mission. She asks 'is that a drone'. I answer yes, she than asks are they expensive?
I say yea, it adds up. She then says 'is it filming right now'. My stomach does a couple turns, expecting the worse. I show her the screen...it was aimed at the Clearwater skyline and I was snapping pics. I said 'it can, but I'm snapping pics right now'.
She says, 'wow, that's a beautiful view. Do you publish them anywhere?' I said no, they are just for me. She replied 'well you should, they look great. See ya later'.
And that was it!!

Happy with the way it all went but I really thought the second one was going to be bad. Just shows you cant judge a book by its cover!

Last edited:
good news cat.png

and his wife says 'my husband already has his xmas present picked out thanaks to you'!!
Got a good laugh out of that one! Funny!

I had one recently when I was filming over a river, a lady came up to me and wanted to know my name and which type of drone I had. She then introduced herself as a member of the rowing club that works out down there in the mornings and wanted to know if I would be interested in filming them sometime. I was also expecting the worst when she came up.

Reactions: dtviewer
I met probably the worst kind of person you could ever want to meet. The local mad old woman who wants to ban everything. She was anti EVERYTHING. She had 2 lovely spaniels with her though who were making a big fuss of me. I had just packed my drone away and she said it was a shame she would love to see one. I couldnt demo a flight as no batteries left. She was fascinated. I was in pretty much the middle of nowhere which helps a lot. They can't exactly accuse you of spying on someone then.
That is why I love long range so much. I go way out and then fly up to things I want to see!

Reactions: Reed L and dtviewer
All of my encounters have been positive also. Most onlookers think that all the drone is made up of is 4 electric motors and a battery. After I show them the technology that goes into the Phantom, most jaws drop with amazement. And no, I don't mind the questions that follow because I'm still amazed at what this thing can do myself.

Gotta love it! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

All of my encounters have been positive also. Most onlookers think that all the drone is made up of is 4 electric motors and a battery. After I show them the technology that goes into the Phantom, most jaws drop with amazement. And no, I don't mind the questions that follow because I'm still amazed at what this thing can do myself.

Gotta love it! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I totally agree.
I had 2 dreams or visions as a kid.
I was fascinated by maps and always wanted to be able to look at a globe and zoom in and in until I could see houses and fields.
Then when I first started in RC at the tender age of 14 I always dreamt of being able to fly out of sight and being able to see like a real pilot!
Both came true!
The P3 is actually MORE than I could ever have hoped for. The way it just sits there in 20mph winds as steady as a rock is incredible!

Reactions: captainmilehigh
My only bad encounter was last year at a local lake. People fishing were ok in the beginning but they ended up getting pissed when they thought the drone was scaring the fish away, sensing it's a bird. Could be, makes some sense. One guy got nasty though. I just packed it in and split as I was done anyway. People fishing can be testy- be aware. I only flew tonight when it cooled off a bit. I wanted to fly all weekend but it was searing hot and kinda windy. Didn't want to stress the bird so I sat it out.

I was just on the blue ridge parkway in North Carolina and a guy on a motorcycle pulled up and started asking me about my drone and specifically asked if I was filming. To my surprise he then asked if I could make a quick video of him riding his bike and email it to him. He wrote down his name, number and email address. I said sure why not. I had several others over the weekend all very excited to watch me fly out over the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

When people ask me if it can film or if I'm filming, I usually say it can film but I'm not filming now- even if I am. And I usually ask if they can hold the questions until I land. Try and avoid getting distracted by that while you fly. They don't realize how distracting they are being, or how much concentration you need to dedicate to flying. I politely let them know I'll be happy to talk when I land. Never had a problem with that.

Sorry - hit the wrong (enter) button. I was flying one early evening getting some night shots and had two groups of cars stop and watch. I landed and since they were older showed them the P3P. Both vehicles wives said they now knew exactly what their husband was talking about and wanted for their birthdays. Both very positive experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dtviewer

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20