(2) drone pilots cause avian carnage

Well not going to comment as I did in this
Illegal Drone flying kills 3000.
There’s more it than 2 drones.
Never be to quick to judge everthing on drones.

It a shame that we have bias information to judge things by. We are selves being bias in one way or the other. If drones did it, look at the SD cards. How do 2 drones crash at the same time? The birds probably took down the drones. Maybe I should use my drone to keep the birds from nesting on my back porch? I destroy their nests and they keep coming back. What about the community next to the reserve? Dogs do a lot of damage. The writer emphasizes on drones when there were other causes mentioned. We are a bunch sheep lead around by the media.

Happens every year on the barrier islands in my area. Not by drones so much as people and dogs. Always hear about it after the damage is already done even though signs are posted on the islands. I'm sure drones will be the next problem if people can't reach the islands any other way. Sad

Reactions: GFields
Yes a different article and still the same diatribe with even less information about other contributing factors besides the two crashed drones.

The easiest solution is to close the island to all human activity during the nesting season. Although one thing came to light in this article about humans prepping the nesting area to entice the birds to nest there. Maybe it is not even an area the birds would use if it were not prepped by humans.

Don’t get me wrong, I am environmentally conscious and respect nature, but two crashed drones near a nesting site is not going to cause mass abandonment of the site. Off leash dogs and foot traffic are much more likely suspects. The other article also brought up the fact that visitation to the preserve is up to 100,000 visitors from 60,000.

This feels "propagandish" to me. Always assumptions. Never any data. I have a very hard time believing any species of any animal would abandon their progeny due to a drone crash. Mother Nature throws a lot more at them than that. Any number of videos have shown that birds see drones as a predator or a threat, and often attack drones that get too close to their nests. So I'm not buying that an entire gaggle of birds simply abandoned their nests due to a single event.

The thing that really bothers me about these stories is that they are reported as "fact," when in reality it's all speculation. Dollars to doughnuts a comprehensive investigation by qualified ornithologists would net more accurate information. I think it's just coincidence that the drones crashed at a time when something else was happening. Correlation doesn't equal causation. This story is propped up on the assumption that correlation IS causation.

And to be clear, I'm not condoning the behavior of the pilots. I'm just saying that this story is sensationalized - probably to get more clicks....<:^/

Discuss.

D

Agree on that,,mother nature is hard,,sorta does bother me that no attempt to collect and incubate eggs or would they be to cold to do that,,even though they show a drone pilot flying I to dont believe this would cause nesting birds to disappear, more likely 4 legged I'm thinking

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20