2 crashed quads, maybe easy fix on one, and a water landing

Reaction score
Hey, this site is way different than last time I was here. Didn't fly much over the winter, and I didn't come here much over the summer before that. Anyway... My Uncle gave me his Phantom Vision 2+ that he crashed into a lake, but I haven't really looked into what it wrong with it yet. Are there typical things to look for in water landings? Links or explanations would be much appreciated :)

Then on to my Phantom 2, I was flying in the mountains, during the only break in wind of the entire day. The wind started to pick while I was out and about (FPV set up) and since the sun was going down I lost track of where I was standing, so when I tried to fly home I ended up across the valley... it snowed that night, but the battery had died or auto shut down by that point. One week later we go to see if we can find it, and within ten minutes I'd say we had it! Based off the FPV feed from the fallen Phantom and some Google Earth, we pinpointed it well. The beetle kill helped... here's a short video

Pretty much everything is fine, except one motor seems to bind up. I will take it apart soon, but I'm thinking it's either dirt/debris, something bent, or the motor died in some other way. Hopefully an easy fix? Any opinions appreciated! Thanks

EDIT: just saw someone mention your ESC's will likely burn out if the motors can't spin... that likely happened to mine, it sat for about 13 minutes trying to spin the props and squealing :'( but when I turned it on the light sequence and everything was normal. Hm.

Dude, that's cool and a half.
Where are you? I'm going to send you some stuff to clean the lens so you can see where the heck you are going.
"The Pain"... funny

Sounds like you've got at least 1 bad motor. Yea, they say if you stop a motor the ESC will fry. If that were always true, mine would have been dead 14 crashes ago. I've taken 10 minutes getting to it while it's been upside down and trying to fly. Flip it over, change the battery and blast off.

If you're going to change motors, make sure you put the PROPER SCREW back in the hole. Too long a screw will ruin your motor the instant it touches the windings. I've never done that, but that's what the theys say.

Seriously though, where were you flying?
How bout sharing more info about the P2's problems. The more info you offer up, the quicker you will get the right answer. And it will probably be from someone smarter than me.

Great video, I even thought the song was very appropriate.

Welcome back to the party.

So, I went to youtube and watched you boarding a bit and then to the unknown crash video. Again, funny and a half, this time watching you blow your buddy into the dirt.
There's no unknown in the crash at the end. VRS, google it. Make sure that bush stays healthy and green to catch you bird while you are hot doggin in your yard.
Thanks, ya put a smile on me face.

Dude, that's cool and a half.
Where are you? I'm going to send you some stuff to clean the lens so you can see where the heck you are going.
"The Pain"... funny

Sounds like you've got at least 1 bad motor. Yea, they say if you stop a motor the ESC will fry. If that were always true, mine would have been dead 14 crashes ago. I've taken 10 minutes getting to it while it's been upside down and trying to fly. Flip it over, change the battery and blast off.

If you're going to change motors, make sure you put the PROPER SCREW back in the hole. Too long a screw will ruin your motor the instant it touches the windings. I've never done that, but that's what the theys say.

Seriously though, where were you flying?
How bout sharing more info about the P2's problems. The more info you offer up, the quicker you will get the right answer. And it will probably be from someone smarter than me.

Great video, I even thought the song was very appropriate.

Welcome back to the party.

I live in Golden, Colorado. About screws... I only have two holding each motor in, the other two are with the prop guards I took off forever ago haha I should fix that.

I was flying near Idaho Springs... really neat area, not far from my house. There's a cave probably 750ft above our campsite I really wanna hike/fly to, and a sweet cave we found down in the valley left over from the mining days... creepy little camp and everything.

I will try to find out more soon, after I crack open the P2's shell.

I thought the song fit really well too :) haha

And about the lens... it got scratched around 5:20 in this video :( it's kind of amazing how manyn times I've crashed and this thing is still trucking. This will be the first time it needs a replacement of any sort (other than props) (here's a link to another crash at the end of the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMtNMJ8Ft8)

So, I went to youtube and watched you boarding a bit and then to the unknown crash video. Again, funny and a half, this time watching you blow your buddy into the dirt.
There's no unknown in the crash at the end. VRS, google it. Make sure that bush stays healthy and green to catch you bird while you are hot doggin in your yard.
Thanks, ya put a smile on me face.

Haha I don't use that channel much anymore, but I agree, those are some funny videos!

Great video, what will you do for an encore?

What do you wanna see? How's this?

Dude, track him on youtube, it's too much fun watching him.

Haha thanks man. My other youtube channel has about 20 skate videos, lots with quad, some with all quad, some with none, here's a link! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUAN33FRf7w1O0iKHigQu2A

These videos I liked a lot

Long version of that^^ with nothing but quad footage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqe7hyokUVQ

Wow... sorry for the MONSTER post, but thanks for the interest!

Hey frare bear, Do you really only have 2 screws holding each motor? If so, you may want to pull out a magnifying glass and look for stress cracks near those 2 screws, on each motor.
I know I'm repeating myself, but if you touch the motor windings with the "TOO LONG SCREW" it's over for the motor.

Thanks for the links, gonna go get some popcorn & barley pop.

That was funny sorry :)
What song you playing in the little bear vid ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj