2.4GHZ Transmitter... Which one???

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I'm going to be in need of a decent TX as I'm going to be picking up a Blade 200 QX BNF. And I also want to start doing some fixed wing stuff... I think I've narrowed this down to a couple of different TXs...

Spektrum SPMR8800 or the FUTABA-10JS I have absolutely no experience at all with transmitters that aren't single purpose and proprietary. I don't know what to look for, or which would be more appropriate for multi-rotor and still capable of doing fixed wing. I'd like to keep this purchase to under $400, if possible.

I give the two above models only as examples. If there's anything else out there that's more appropriate, I'd be more than happy to give it a look...

As always... Thanks for sharing your expertise, guys...

-slinger

Great info for Phantom users there gun!

Both are 'full-range capable' and obviously well known and respected brands.

The Futaba you cited will allow on board B+ telemetry with a simple, cheap connector or cable (not sure about the Spektrum's telemetry capabilities and no desire to look it up ;) ).

The Futaba has more channels (10 vs. 8).

Both are capable of fixed wing with the Futaba having an "Air' or "Heli' version available (again not sure of Spektrum).
(Both Air & Heli are electronically the same except for placement of a couple of the programmable switches.)

IrishSights said:
Great info for Phantom users there gun!

Yeah... good point... :oops:

I'll promptly move this to off topic... :shock:

-slinger

My recommendations (in no particular order):

1. Taranis

2. Taranis

3. Taranis

Under $250 including 16-channel Rx, and as capable as Futaba and other models costing 3x as much.

The v2 model ("Taranis Plus") has some worthwhile upgrades that I've retrofit to my v1 model, including a bigger batt, improved side sliders, and so on. Taranis also has the native ability to use FrSky's excellent telemetery system which includes a wide range of low-cost sensors you can use and log via its built-in SD card slot.

And...it talks :D

OI Photography said:
My recommendations (in no particular order):...Taranis...Taranis...Taranis...Under $250 including 16-channel Rx, and as capable as Futaba and other models costing 3x as much...The v2 model ("Taranis Plus") has some worthwhile upgrades that I've retrofit to my v1 model, including a bigger batt, improved side sliders, and so on. Taranis also has the native ability to use FrSky's excellent telemetery system which includes a wide range of low-cost sensors you can use and log via its built-in SD card slot....And...it talks :D
For some time thinking about other Tx for control my Phantom 1 (The Original), but I have no experience, so I am interested in:

- May be used (with Phantom 1) small and light FrSky receiver x4r-sb, which has S-Bus and Taranis together? It can be connected to the Naza (via S-bus?

- I want to upgrade Zenmuse 2D to 3D gimbal gimbal, solve me (Taranis Tx) known problem with rapid and jerky tilt 3D gimbal. This means back to the state as P1 can H3-2D? Softly, slowly and steadily, with soft stops?

- I would also like to try an optional feature for the tilt gimbal using headtracker in Dominator glasses, Will it work?

Thanks!

The DJI AVL58 receiver with the ImmersionRC 600mw transmitter seems to be a popular option. If you want extreme distance get one of the 2W ones.

Another vote for the Taranis.

I use mine for fixed wing, heli's, Multi's. Recently I have installed the Zaggometry cable into my F550 with Naza V2 and the amount of info that is relayed to the Taranis display has made all the FrSky Smartport modules my hex was carrying obsolete.

The above is just one screen of four telemetry screens of information available. This has been coded using "Luo" by Richard Oude Eberink from the Taranis Facebook page.

I have plans to fit the same inexpensive hardware into my Phantom V1 by swapping the DJI receiver for a FrSky X4R S-Bus.

Regards

Nidge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 776
Thanks Nidge, I hadn't realized Richard's little project was that far along yet (even though I follow that FB page too).

The Zaggometry conversion is on my to-do list...how long did you have to wait for the part to arrive?

I have a feeling I might still want to use the FAS-40 sensor as I really like seeing current draw and mAh consumed.

OI Photography said:
Thanks Nidge, I hadn't realized Richard's little project was that far along yet (even though I follow that FB page too).

The Zaggometry conversion is on my to-do list...how long did you have to wait for the part to arrive?

I have a feeling I might still want to use the FAS-40 sensor as I really like seeing current draw and mAh consumed.

Hi Chris

From the time of ordering it took four business days, Germany to the UK. I was checking the website daily waiting for them to come in stock. I can confirm that the Zaggometry board will work in series with the FAS-40, or with any other of the FrSky Smartport sensors. The only caveat is that you may need to alter the address of the Zaggometry board to prevent conflicts but everything seemed to function ok with both the FAS-40 and the FLVS LiPo modules in series.

I had to edit a little of Richards code so it would work with my switch assignments on my Taranis. By default Richard's script reads the "Cell" value to display the voltage, which is fine if you are going to use the FrSky LiPo sensor but I wanted to free up the balance port on the flight battery so, after Richard pointed me in the right direction, I used the "A2" value instead as I was able to calibrate the required offset against my calibrated laboratory grade Volt meter. The Lua script also runs in tandem with whatever you have configured your preferred telemetry screen increasing the default three Taranis telemetry screens plus three extra provided by Richard's code.

I would have to say that if you are using a Naza and a Taranis the Zaggometry board is a must have. I also believe that some ingenious souls have got it working with the APM 2.X flight controllers as well.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
Another vote for the Taranis.

I use mine for fixed wing, heli's, Multi's. Recently I have installed the Zaggometry cable into my F550 with Naza V2 and the amount of info that is relayed to the Taranis display has made all the FrSky Smartport modules my hex was carrying obsolete.

The above is just one screen of four telemetry screens of information available. This has been coded using "Luo" by Richard Oude Eberink from the Taranis Facebook page.

I have plans to fit the same inexpensive hardware into my Phantom V1 by swapping the DJI receiver for a FrSky X4R S-Bus.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge:

Will Zaggometry work with a P2, P2V, P2V+?

Thanks...
-slinger

OI Photography said:
My recommendations (in no particular order):

1. Taranis

2. Taranis

3. Taranis

Under $250 including 16-channel Rx, and as capable as Futaba and other models costing 3x as much.

The v2 model ("Taranis Plus") has some worthwhile upgrades that I've retrofit to my v1 model, including a bigger batt, improved side sliders, and so on. Taranis also has the native ability to use FrSky's excellent telemetery system which includes a wide range of low-cost sensors you can use and log via its built-in SD card slot.

And...it talks :D

OI...

Is there any decent simulator/training software available out there that will work with the Taranis and offers multi rotor aircraft?

Thanks again...
-slinger

Hi Slinger

Re Zaggometry with the P2 and Visions. I'm afraid I couldn't say yay or nay as I know very little about how DJI have configured the Naza in those platforms as they differ from the Lite and M V2 as their firmware versions are different. It would be best to contact the designer:

http://pleasantsoftware.com/developer/3 ... y-adapter/.

Regarding simulators I use PhoenixRC simulator with the Taranis. The software is supplied with a USB adaptor which plugs into the Trainer port of the Taranis. It's mainly aimed at fixed wing and Heli pilots but it does have a selection of multirotors including the Blade 350QX (auto-levelling and manual flight modes), DJI Phantom (Manual mode only), a Graupner Quad, and two variations of the Blade Nano QX.

Regards

Nidge

Nidge said:
Hi Slinger

Re Zaggometry with the P2 and Visions. I'm afraid I couldn't say yay or nay as I know very little about how DJI have configured the Naza in those platforms as they differ from the Lite and M V2 as their firmware versions are different. It would be best to contact the designer:

http://pleasantsoftware.com/developer/3 ... y-adapter/.

Regarding simulators I use PhoenixRC simulator with the Taranis. The software is supplied with a USB adaptor which plugs into the Trainer port of the Taranis. It's mainly aimed at fixed wing and Heli pilots but it does have a selection of multirotors including the Blade 350QX (auto-levelling and manual flight modes), DJI Phantom (Manual mode only), a Graupner Quad, and two variations of the Blade Nano QX.

Regards

Nidge

Thanks... That's the one I was focused on. I actually tried it today at a hobby shop and I found the detail and graphics pretty amazing. I especially loved when I tried to land the trainer 'copter how lifelike it seemed as all the parts and pieces scattered about the field... First attempt lost two landing gear, making the second attempt... somewhat interesting... :shock:

The package at the store actually included a Spectrum 6 channel TX...

Thanks again...
-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20