2.4 Ghz fpv or 2.4 Ghz conversion for use with 5.8 Ghz fpv?

Reaction score
Hi guys! Hope everyone has been enjoying their flying as much as me lately! I've been loving the FC40 since I bought it in April, having put a Walkera gimbal on is I've been dying to get a proper fpv system on to it as I am currently running a go pro for HD capture with the FC40 camera velcroed to the battery door for fpv. Id there a good 2.4 Ghz system out there which is legal for use in the UK without a licence? Or would it be better to switch to a Spektrum or Fabuta radio system so that I would be able to use a 5.8 Ghz fpv system like the fat shark systems? I never use the go pro wireless so I would have no problems switching to the 2.4 Ghz frequency. Price isn't a massive issue for me however I'd like to keep it as low as possible. Any ideas or opinions on doing either of these options? Its worth mentioning I am doing a lot of aerial filming of sporting events and would want long range (more than 100m from the FC40) and the ability to tell where the go pro on the gimbal is pointing. Sorry for the long post! Thanks to all who stuck with me!

Re: 2.4 Ghz fpv or 2.4 Ghz conversion for use with 5.8 Ghz f

No, you cannot use 2.4GHz for aerial FPV in the UK without a special and very expensive licence. It also uses frequencies that are different to the usual 2.4GHz video kit as well.

The only legal option is 5.8GHz @ 25mW - which is good for about 50M on a bad day... Most users tend to go for a little more power - maybe 250mW or 600mW, which gives a more respectable 500M.

Just be careful about which frequencies you use, as many TXs sold in the UK can tune away from the legal frequency band and wander into satellite location and other space use territory.

You will need to change your TX and RX, but these can be picked up relatively cheaply. 2.4GHz is preferred for radio control in any case as the range is generally much greater.

Re: 2.4 Ghz fpv or 2.4 Ghz conversion for use with 5.8 Ghz f

Thanks very much for the reply. I'll look into it. Any tx/rx that you would recommended for using? If I do convert to 2.4 what steps will I need to take? For instance if I upgraded to a spektrum dx8 or similar is it as simple as plug in and go?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.