1st time setup nightmare: 5 hours and counting!

Reaction score
Got my v1.1.1 from B&H today. Putting on the landing gear and installing the firmware, parameters, and calibrating the Tx was a no brainer. What took me 4 hours was I had to figure out on my own that the reason my Tx wouldn't communicate with the Phantom is that you have to change the default from PPM (which doesn't work) to D-Bus. So anyone getting the most recent model and following the firmware installation guidelines: be aware that the thing won't work unless you change the Assistant software by checking "D-Bus". Yes, you can find this info if you search deep... and you know to search the term "D-Bus". If not, it'll take you a long time figuring that one out because EVERY video online tell you specifically to set it to PPM and claim the others won't work. Well, it's just the opposite on the latest firmware!

Second problem is that the charger won't go to constant green on either of the two batteries I have: the one in the box and the spare I ordered from Amazon. They both get to the point that the charger blinks red-green-red-green but it'll never switch to solid green. Not sure I should even fly it until I know what's up. I know red-green-red-green blinking is supposed to indicate 80%+ charge but I have no confidence that it is charging the battery fully. Any help here? I've searched until I have a headache and there's so much "makeshift" documentation that you can't find anything through the flotsam and jetsam.

Needless to say, I'd give this thing an "F" for documentation, even with the (outdated) documentation and videos on the DJI site!!! And I've flown before. I can only imagine how horrible this must be for people who have never done this before!

Mike

gbshovel said:
Fly both batteries then try the recharge.

+1. Once you fly it and place a battery on the charger report back and tell us how long it takes from when it starts charging to when it blinks red green. Also report if it goes over an hour total charge time and still blinking red and green.

Yes, documentation needs a LOT of improvement. I don't understand why they don't hire someone actually capable of writing proper documentation.

How long did you leave the battery on the charger when blinking red/green? Just leave it for many hours.

Did you measure the voltages? You can use a simple multimeter for that. Measure between end pins for total voltage and three sets of adjacent pins for individual cells. So 1-4 and 1-2, 2-3, 3-4.

You could give it a slow discharge cycle. Place something heavy in the landing gear (not ferrous metal - compass!) and start the motors and let them run stationary until red flashes, then recharge.

If you have the time always charge at the lowest speed.

Just to report, it did eventually go green but the total time before it went green was about 12 hours! After flying once, it charged to green much faster as you guys expected.

Mike

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj