1st post - another TX and RX range question FS

Reaction score
Hi All, Its my 1st post so pls be gentle.

I have a phantom as do most with:
FS Attitude googles kit with 250mw 3.2version TX,
Diversity dual reciever 7" monitor.
5.8GHz Circular Polarized Antenna Set (pin in the center)

I have a range of 15 meters or so line of sight on standard i think straight antennas on the FS TX, Goggles and Monitor, as i walk away both recievers (as in the googles and monitor) pic both slightly break up, when i stop its ok but if i move eg turn around the signal breaks but not cuts out untill im in line again.
I then try the polarized antenna on the TX and the googles and can prob get another 5 meters or so. I then put the polarized antenna on the monitor and the same.
If i use the standard antennas all round, i can walk around some objects(small height bushes) and both eventually go to snowy/so broken that you can see at around 20 meters.
The power to the TX ive tried from a seperate 2s 450mah lipo fully charged and the phantom 2250mah 11.1v direct. So it doesnt seem to be a power issue or lack of.
Ive only had these items for a few weeks and its been like this from day one rather than deteriorated over time.
The TX is mounted in the centre of the phantom facing to the status led.
All the goggles, TX and monitor are on CH1 5740mhz.

My thoughts are how can i see tons of youtube clips of people FPV'in in woods, around places at a distance when i cant get further than my so called front door?
Would a Immersion RC 600mw TX be a better option and some ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Antenna Set spironet?

Im in the major learning stage and have looked at various posts and tested in various places to try and eliminate possible issues... It could be a TX issue which could be it, but some advice please and if so tomorrow ill order what suggestons people give.

Paul.

I dont use fatshark stuff but that just cant be all that setup can do, even gopro wifi has better range then that although useless due to lag. Try going through the channels as there may be some interference on that particular channel. Also try and get as much separation between your rx antenna and vtx antennas on the phantom. Make sure you havent mixed up you're vtx and vrx antennas and that they are the correct matching antennas.

Using the dji 5.8 setup I can go behind quite a few trees or even a few houses and direct los range is great at 900m no noise at all which is about where the stock radio dies at or just before. Claimed range varies between 1.5 and 3km for this setup and I have just upgraded my radio to a futaba so will do some longer range tests soon and this should find the limits of this video link. I regularly fly the setup behind trees and very low to the ground at speed in manual mode and the video has rarely given me any issues but the stock radio has been quite flakey especially behind a few objects.

There seems to be a massive variation in radio range possible due to the environment your flying in there's YouTube video of someone at 2.8k which I think is the stock Rx/Tx. There must be a fault somewhere or your getting inference I have been watching a lot of videos online about FPV (I have ordered the dominators with the immersion 600w and spironets) and people are getting long distances with them.

Brian

Morning,

Thanks for the replies both of you....

I have ordered the 600mw TX and Spironet's so hopefully they will turn up tomorrow..
I do believe that i should get more range by far and as both the goggles and montior both cut/break up slightly at 20m range that its at the TX end, of course a bit of trial and error testing was done with diff antennas so a TX is my next step.
Ive ordered a T8J too as wanted a battery display and the 7th channel knob... I did order a lever for the dji TX but being 3d printed they both snapped on insertion and instead of making some holes in the TX by adding a knob i though new TX setup instead.
I should cable tie my wallet to the phantom as the costs are reaching the sky but its all worth it.. F550 next

Haha well if you have any of those cable ties left my wallets suffering from the same affliction :-D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31