16mph wind

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm a beginner but getting to learn the ropes. Where I am there are 16mph winds and I was wondering if this would be okay for my standard? I have a P3 advanced

Thanks and happy Christmas!

I would not recommend choosing to fly in 16mph winds if you are really not experienced to at least some extent. If possible, give yourself some time to comfortably get used to flying in calmer conditions. You will need to be confident in windy conditions as you go on. It's either that or you end up sitting out a lot of fly days. Calm conditions are hard to come by. But at least try to seek out calmer days in the beginning. My 2¢

Reactions: BigAl07
If you have to fly in strong winds, keep her close to you. And by all means, maintain visual on the copter. Only look at your screen when necessary. Newbie, don't learn the hard way.

The heavier the wind, the more your drone will have to work to hold position, meaning less battery time. I think 10 mph should be max.

Just keep in mind the average flight speed is 23 mph so if you fly out to far with the wind your going to uses double the battery power comming back as you can only make a 7 mph return against that wind.

Reactions: CB7H22Los
Best to avoid flying in wind - I don't find it enjoyable although the p3 is quite capable in even strong gusts etc. Love flying in calm conditions - these usually occur here early mornings & evenings. Winds of any kind aren't great for still photos.

I fly in up to 20 mph winds all the time - you must know how to hand catch though. Pictures are still easy, but making smooth videos gets hard in higher winds, and the chance of seeing a leg in the frame are pretty good.

As I said the p3 is well capable in wind - I just choose not to fly in wind when it's over 10- 15km/h as I don't like the stress etc. I always hand catch, even when it's calm & not windy.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has issues having a level horizon when it is gusty (despite gimbal calibration)

I flew this video in 40kph winds gusting at 60kph (24 mph & 37 mph in old money)

Wasn't that challenging.

You need to travel Wibble...

I've had the opportunity for many flights locally (in Dorset)

Lol and you aren't far away! Seriously it has rained every single day for 6 weeks and the winds are never less than 40mph - usually much higher!
Australia looks very tempting - Dorset a tad closer though!

Lol and you aren't far away! Seriously it has rained every single day for 6 weeks and the winds are never less than 40mph - usually much higher!
Australia looks very tempting - Dorset a tad closer though!

Please tell me you have decent conditions today?! (& the time to go out)

I'm just waiting for my final battery to finish top-up charge & I'm getting out there for a few hours

It is very mild & completely still on the Dorset coast today!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl