Re: Do you attach a cord to your Phantom

Thought about it, but a long enough cord would be too heavy and can get ensnared.

Yep its serious. Could be especially useful in high density areas where the potential for fly away is higher and more damaging.

How heavy is a ball of string? Think it would be light enough.

I realise it sounds a bit extreme.

Please don't do that. Asking for trouble.

It's not a kite....

I can only see that leading to all manors of BAD!

Trees, overhead cables, if you fly over a road could snag a car and go for a long ride... just see this ending in :shock: :eek: :cry: :cry: :oops:

Think of the physics and risks of this.

Consider the weight of the string, how you could maintain it's position (tautness, etc) as you move around, the risk of it getting tangled up on trees, other objects and even your propellers.

Etc.

Fairly good repsosne. Thanks

I'm a total novice when it comes to DJI Phantoms; however, instead of attaching a piece of string to your DJI, has anyone considered attaching an iPhone, so if your DJI goes missing you could use the 'Find My iPhone' app to find both your DJI and iPhone?

Yelgir said:
I'm a total novice when it comes to DJI Phantoms; however, instead of attaching a piece of string to your DJI, has anyone considered attaching an iPhone, so if your DJI goes missing you could use the 'Find My iPhone' app to find both your DJI and iPhone?

look up 'gps trackers', there's been numerous threads on those.

They're lighter, cheaper, lasts a whole lot longer, can work on SMS (doesn't need data coverage).

Another hint, to do a search on this site, go to google and use this format:

site:phantompilots.com your search here

http://bit.ly/JNh7AH

It works better than the default search engine.

There is a thread called track that drone that has quite a discussion on this subject of tracking in the event of a flyaway

Please post a video when you crash ! I want to see it. :lol:

Yes,but only a USB cord to check Naza settings. :lol:

tomwato said:
Yep its serious. Could be especially useful in high density areas where the potential for fly away is higher and more damaging.

How heavy is a ball of string? Think it would be light enough.

I realise it sounds a bit extreme.

You have to be fishing. No sane person would consider string. All the tech and research into this and you suggest string? Maybe they should attach string to the Dreamliner as well? Aerospace is hiring aspiring young minds.

tomwato said:
Anyone use something like string to attach to your Phantom? Something your can bring it back under control physically in the event of a fly away, or allow you to follow the line to the crash site?

Basically a cheap and lightweight way to track your drone.

The best way to implement this would be to get in your car, drive to Walmart buy a kite, drive home, take your phantom, throw it out, then fly your new kite. Enjoy the kite with the string. :D

A surprising amount of hostility here! Of course it's probably not a good idea but the dogpile is a bit harsh, isn't it?

I've heard of a few implementations of tethering systems for quads, they tend to be quite specialized (power delivery for continuous flight time, getting around technical FAA rules) but it's not like it's unheard of.

Phantom556 said:
The best way to implement this would be to get in your car, drive to Walmart buy a kite, drive home, take your phantom, throw it out, then fly your new kite. Enjoy the kite with the string. :D

best answer ever

Yelgir said:
http://www.pettracker.com/

This works great for me. I also take it on my dirt bike and quad so my wife can have peace of mind if I go out alone. I have a Polaris Razor, and when I go out with it, If I go hiking away from it, I strap it it to the Razor so if someone trys to steal it, I can easily track it.

I actually did this for my first couple flights. It worked fine, no tangle or anything... The only problem is if you allow the craft to go to the end of the string, the craft tries to fight the pull VERY aggressively. Thankfully my string was only about 20 feet long, and the craft was out to my side, and about 6 feet high when the line went taught, the coptor tried to fight it, and down it came... So, yes it can work IF you do not allow the line to go taught. If you do...it won't be good.

You have to be fishing. No sane person would consider string. All the tech and research into this and you suggest string? Maybe they should attach string to the Dreamliner as well? Aerospace is hiring aspiring young minds.

LMAO, I guess you haven't seen the dozens of reports and videos describing how Phantoms have taken off on their own.

Technology is wonderful. When it works.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj