12 Satellites Locked and Stuck on ATTI mode??

Reaction score
I flew one flight today with no problems. On my second flight, after observing I had 12 satellites locked, i started the motors, launched it about 20' for a hover test... and it's drifting and not stopping.. so then i noticed the LEDs were blinking yellow indicating it's in ATTI mode. I look down at my controller, it's clearly in GPS mode (S1 in top most position), I look at the app, and it still fluctuating between 11 and 12 satellites... so I switch to ATTI mode, then back to GPS, and still no GPS mode...

WAIT.... holy crap.. right after writing the above... i went back into the assistant app, and checked my controller... the S1 switch when in GPS mode is identified in the app as ATTI.. so i pushed up a little more on the switch and low and behold, it now says GPS... my switch isn't making full contact in the up most position! weird... anyone else experience this? Look like i'll be taking my controller apart... argh... good thing i caught that....

Lesson learned... ALWAYS do a hover test!!!

Hello,
This has been an ongoing problem, because compass calibration through the switch
Causing it to fail, with the new update, you can perform compass calibration
Through the app without turbo flicking the toggle, ultimately damaging it.

Good call! Glad she is back!

Take care, fly safe!

J Dot said:
Hello,
This has been an ongoing problem, because compass calibration through the switch
Causing it to fail, with the new update, you can perform compass calibration
Through the app without turbo flicking the toggle, ultimately damaging it.

Good call! Glad she is back!

Take care, fly safe!

Good to know.. anyone heard of any repairs for this, or do i just need to get a new switch? Are these switches standard where I could go to my local hobby shop to get one? Thanks...

Happened to me with my left toggle. My IOC was always on. I used to RC assistant and found out it was slowly failing. I didn't want to risk sending back to DJI.
Its a 3 position toggle switch. $3 bucks at Jaycar in Australia. The common switch is round and not flat. And just take a picture before so you remember the wire colours before soldering the new.

Toggle%20Switch.jpg

Toggle%20Switch%20Replacement.jpg

srandall25 said:
the S1 switch when in GPS mode is identified in the app as ATTI.. so i pushed up a little more on the switch and low and behold, it now says GPS... my switch isn't making full contact in the up most position! weird... anyone else experience this?
Yep same thing happened to me. Broken switch. Fortunately, I noticed it before I tried to fly. ATTI is the center position of S1, the center position is electrically off, and also the most likely spot to be in if the switch breaks. Fortunately easy to fix. Most electronics stores and/or hobby shops have the switches in stock, although you may not be able to find the flat bat handle style. But that doesn't matter much, plain old toggle works fine. Beware, there are various styles of switches. You want 3 position, center off.

Yep, I found a center off switch at Radio Shack that did the trick. I knew i didn't want to get the identical switch that failed since this is a known problem. Hopefully the Radio Shack switch will be more reliable. I had already done what the other user posted... took a picture of the wire color order. It was an easy solder job... i haven't soldered anything in years so if i can do it anyone can.

So I actually flew a 5000 ft mission just prior to me noticing this switch failure. The following mission is when I noticed the ATTI and drifting before getting ready to fly another long range mission... So i was thinking... I wonder if I actually flew the entire 5000' mission in ATTI and didn't realize it. I remembered the phantom returning off course a bit and having trouble spotting it on the return. I also remembered which direction the wind was blowing... so I uploaded the mission to Flytrex, viewed it in google earth... sure enough, my entire flight had drifted to the west while flying out and on the return... it had to have been in ATTI mode. Thank god it wasn't a really windy day... haha... still learning something new every time I fly... my confidence level is increasing as well.. i see these incidents as real learning opportunities... now I know to also ops check these switches occasionally in between flights and not assume the phantom is in GPS just because it has 6+ satellite lock and S1 is in GPS... look for the green lights even after it's launched!

srandall25 said:
Yep, I found a center off switch at Radio Shack that did the trick. I knew i didn't want to get the identical switch that failed since this is a known problem. Hopefully the Radio Shack switch will be more reliable. I had already done what the other user posted... took a picture of the wire color order. It was an easy solder job... i haven't soldered anything in years so if i can do it anyone can.

So I actually flew a 5000 ft mission just prior to me noticing this switch failure. The following mission is when I noticed the ATTI and drifting before getting ready to fly another long range mission... So i was thinking... I wonder if I actually flew the entire 5000' mission in ATTI and didn't realize it. I remembered the phantom returning off course a bit and having trouble spotting it on the return. I also remembered which direction the wind was blowing... so I uploaded the mission to Flytrex, viewed it in google earth... sure enough, my entire flight had drifted to the west while flying out and on the return... it had to have been in ATTI mode. Thank god it wasn't a really windy day... haha... still learning something new every time I fly... my confidence level is increasing as well.. i see these incidents as real learning opportunities... now I know to also ops check these switches occasionally in between flights and not assume the phantom is in GPS just because it has 6+ satellite lock and S1 is in GPS... look for the green lights even after it's launched!

That's why DJI should have a screen warning or HUD display of the S1 and S2 modes. Looking at the Sat count means nothing if you don't know that you're in ATTI mode.

Mako79 said:
Happened to me with my left toggle. My IOC was always on. I used to RC assistant and found out it was slowly failing. I didn't want to risk sending back to DJI.
Its a 3 position toggle switch. $3 bucks at Jaycar in Australia. The common switch is round and not flat. And just take a picture before so you remember the wire colours before soldering the new.

Toggle%20Switch.jpg

Toggle%20Switch%20Replacement.jpg

if you want to possibly build in some redundency with your switch swap, use a double pole switch instead of single pole and wire to both terminals at each possition with the appropriate single wire. this way you have 2 sprung rocker assembleys and contacts doing the job instead of just one. you can also get switches with slightly longer levers like you see on mainstream trannys like futaba etc if you want a bigger target for your finger with more leverage. make sure you get a 'centre off' switch what ever way you go though or you wont have a 3 position switch, just 2, it won't stay in the middle position otherwise ! double pole, double throw,( DPDT ) centre off is the type required for the redundency mod. single pole, double throw,( SPDT ) centre off for a straight swap out.

sweet.. do you happen to have a link to one you might recommend? sounds like you know a lot about these.. Thanks.

depends where on the planet you are. in the UK check out maplins, RS, farnell, even amazon for this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/DPDT-Center-Min ... pdt+switch

i don't like that it seems to have a plastic toggle though but you can get longer lever flat toggles in metal. this one is double pole for the redundency aspect. it will take a bit of searching but you should find something a bit better. i got to go to work now so i wont be back till toinight.

edit:: IMPORTANT !! it says sub min in the description and i'm not sure whether the stock switches are sub miniature or just miniature?? you need to get sizes first so the hole size in the tranny suits the switch you get!!

I also had a faulty S1 switch, no GPS mode unless I held the switch fully forward.

If you want to get flying in the shortest amount of time, simple, remove the two outer wires from the S1 switch, rotate the switch 180 degrees then re-solder the wires back onto the switch. (Remembering not to solder the wires onto the same pins)

I hardly use the third position on the switch so it just makes sense to me to just reverse the wires, now I have a fully functioning bird again. I can fly and take my time finding a replacement switch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20