113° to 115° Average Battery Temps in Florida

Reaction score
Been monitoring my battery temps in south Florida. At landing my average temp is 113° to 115° Fahrenheit. And that's flying only in the early evening and nights. Anything to worry about?

Also, to get the temp down a little quicker, I pop mine in the freezer for 5 minutes then let it sit in the ambient indoor air conditioning until feels normal before charging. Thoughts on this process?

Happy Flying!!

I would never put mine in a freeezer due to moisture when it was taken out.Battery temps do get pretty high when the ambient temps are high when flying but it is normal.When I get through flying I take the battery out and it cools down before I get a chance to recharge it.

As a fellow Florida flyer when the battery comes out of the quad, it gets put in the house near a cooling breeze from a fan. By the time I'm done with the next battery, the previous one has stabilized at a normal temperature at which time I can pop in on the multi-charger with the other batteries.

That battery compartment really does get hot too!

AD

Reactions: Erised
Rapid cooling is going to speed up the cooling down of the battery but it's probably also going to create wear/tear on it as well. Electronics don't like suddent temp changes. It's what causes wear. You are increasing wear in return for less wait time.

Temp is good what I do is put the battery over one of the vents at home while the ac is blowing. This way your not putting the batt in really cold temps and it will slowly cool down.

Reactions: dodoftwogirls
Been monitoring my battery temps in south Florida. At landing my average temp is 113° to 115° Fahrenheit. And that's flying only in the early evening and nights. Anything to worry about?

Also, to get the temp down a little quicker, I pop mine in the freezer for 5 minutes then let it sit in the ambient indoor air conditioning until feels normal before charging. Thoughts on this process?

Happy Flying!!

Your temperature seemed a bit "low" to me as my batteries are showing 58-60 degrees Celsius when I'm done with the flight which works out to around 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

AD

Your temperature seemed a bit "low" to me as my batteries are showing 58-60 degrees Celsius when I'm done with the flight which works out to around 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

AD

AD,

You're not far from me. Perhaps the fact that almost all of my flying is late evening and night is why my temps are lower than yours although we are geographically in the same place? Also, you're flying a P4, correct? Your temps seem extreme according to the P4 battery instructions. It says use in environments above 50C can result in fire?

DOTG

As a fellow Florida flyer when the battery comes out of the quad, it gets put in the house near a cooling breeze from a fan. By the time I'm done with the next battery, the previous one has stabilized at a normal temperature at which time I can pop in on the multi-charger with the other batteries.

That battery compartment really does get hot too!

AD
AWD's way is also the way I do it. Don't put your battery in a freezer, the thermal contraction of the batteries case and electronics on a hot core may cause permanent damage to your battery. From freezing to 115 has lots of thermal expansion and electronic circuits will fail at a faster rate. Also another very important aspect to improve battery life is the time needed to stabilize the batteries chemical reactions, You should give them the time after draining and also I give them at least 20 minutes after a full charge to stabilized, my 4 batteries are 15 months old with around 70+ charges and all four lights still go on for battery life, I still get the same flight time in s mode for around 20 minutes and land at 20%. I fly them to around 20% let them cool charge them to storage values in my hub and store them in my case and full charge on fly day. If I don't use them that day I will leave them fully charged for the next day or even several days but never more then a week. It's always a good reason to go fly because I just can't leave my batteries fully charged. My wife understands this reasoning, she even encourages me because she knows the price of 4 batteries.

Last edited:
Erised...

To be clear I am not freezing the batteries. As such, they aren't going from freezing to 115 degrees. I was merely putting them in for 5 minutes (timed) to try and take the high temp down a little quicker. They are still very warm to the touch when I bring them out with zero condensation so the overall impact on the battery has to be minimal. My logic was that trying to bring the temp down a little quicker would help slow the high temperature chemical reaction which will be greatest post flight and would help them stabilize quicker. I would think that has to be at least partly beneficial. Like adding an ice cube to a hot cup of coffee. Doesn't make the coffee cold but certainly drops it a few degrees so that you can start to drink it. Anyway, I'm gathering others also think it's a bad idea so I'll avoid.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and input.

Reactions: Erised
You know your a phantom pilot when you want to charge your batteries as quickly as possible to get back in the air! I can really understand why you wish to cool them sooner.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20