1080 @60 or 1080 @30

Reaction score
i know the 60 and 30 are frame rates but what is the difference/benefit when filming in these modes.
i allways seem to film in 1080 (60) because i got into my head iam getting more frames per second so this gives me a better video. is this corect ?

i know the 60 and 30 are frame rates but what is the difference/benefit when filming in these modes.
i allways seem to film in 1080 (60) because i got into my head iam getting more frames per second so this gives me a better video. is this corect ?

Not necessarily. 24fps is what you see in 99% of movies. It's a more "cinematic" form of filming. Also keep in mind that it's difficult for the human eye to see/decipher more than 30fps but still, if you want more of a cinematic theme stick to 30fps. If you want more of a "lifelike" appearance then go with 60fps but keep in mind that for "storytelling" 30fps is the way to go.

30fps is a little more natural looking where as 60fps can look a little strange.

A benefit of shooting in 60fps is that, it can be slowed down in post production- for instance you have footage of a fast moving vehicle, you can give it a sudden slow motion effect etc (up to 55-60%) without any loss of smoothness :)

Personally I stick to either 25 or 30 FPS as it gives a smoother, more cinematic feel.

30fps is a little more natural looking where as 60fps can look a little strange.

A benefit of shooting in 60fps is that, it can be slowed down in post production- for instance you have footage of a fast moving vehicle, you can give it a sudden slow motion effect etc (up to 55-60%) without any loss of smoothness :)

Personally I stick to either 25 or 30 FPS as it gives a smoother, more cinematic feel.

very good..

Reactions: RosscoP3S
I find shooting in 24fps a little staggered when doing alot of panning around, should this be the case? As for the cinematic look what does that exactly mean? I personally fly at 60fps i find it smoother!

With a rolling shutter, 30 fps can show tears and jitters when panning or tilting too fast. The panning iland tilting is much nicer in 60fps.

Is there an easy way to take 60fps down to 30 or 24? Would it be better to capture more up front and scale down where not needed?

With a rolling shutter, 30 fps can show tears and jitters when panning or tilting too fast. The panning iland tilting is much nicer in 60fps.

That's usually down to shutter speed - if you are shooting @ 100iso~ 1/50sec it should be smoooooooth.
Go over 1/100th and you'll start getting strobing/ tears etc

I find shooting in 24fps a little staggered when doing alot of panning around, should this be the case? As for the cinematic look what does that exactly mean? I personally fly at 60fps i find it smoother!

By cinematic, it means that fast motion creates a 'slight' motion blur rather than it being pin sharp- creating a more natural looking piece of footage.
At 60fps, footage sometimes looks a little surreal.

This was also shot at 30fps, into direct sunlight - ND filter was used to bring the shutter speed down also.

By cinematic, it means that fast motion creates a 'slight' motion blur rather than it being pin sharp- creating a more natural looking piece of footage.
At 60fps, footage sometimes looks a little surreal.

This was also shot at 30fps, into direct sunlight - ND filter was used to bring the shutter speed down also.

ok thats cool but i dont like the stuttering effect when panning is there any way to overcome this?

ok thats cool but i dont like the stuttering effect when panning is there any way to overcome this?

Bring your ISO down to 100 and your shutter speed down to 50 - if your footage is too bright at this setting, you need to get some Neural Density filters.

I wish they would update the p3's to shoot 120fps/1080, the new osmo handheld can, more for some of us use the birds for more action shots and the extra frame rates would be grate for slow motion etc

I wish they would update the p3's to shoot 120fps/1080, the new osmo handheld can, more for some of us use the birds for more action shots and the extra frame rates would be grate for slow motion etc

Agree!!
Now that would produce some smooth video!

Would make sense to do it aswell, since GoPro is making their own drone soon and there running 120fps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair