107 testing

Reaction score
I searched this but only found a few threads and none in the last couple weeks.

Is there just not much interest here or am I searching wrong search terms?

My apologies to the pilots on this forum but from what I gather it is a pretty big test and we'll need to know all kinds of piloting stuff just to fly my drone around an acreage to take pictures for a client to list their home?

I found this study guide on a Facebook group I joined. It's 87 pages. Anyone know what else I'll need to study or do to be prepared?

Facebook

Here is the document

Attachments

• FAA - Remote Pilot _ Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide - FAA-G-8082-22.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 522
Reactions: Mike_Flys
The first link above the video leads to that info including this. Link.
Becoming a Pilot

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Huskerfan
Dude, I have a lotta studying to do. Lol. I only knew about a third of those answers. Yikes! Good stuff there

Dude, I have a lotta studying to do. Lol. I only knew about a third of those answers. Yikes! Good stuff there

Yeah it reminds me of studying for my private pilot written test. Not quite as bad but close enough.
To be honest I'm not a huge fan of translating the weather codes. These days there are so many sources of already translated weather, even dozens of phone apps for it.

I do think being able to read a sectional and understanding airspace and the regulations that go with it is good idea.
If you plan to fly near airports I also think Drone pilots need to know about the AFD, how to find the manager of an airports number, and how to talk with them. Who you are, Where you are, What will you be doing including altitudes you will be flying at.

Good luck studying. I'm sure there are lots of people here on the forum including me that will help answer questions if you have any.

I'm using a paid study program...it's pretty good so far. Gets right to the heart of what's expected on the test so you don't study a lot of stuff that's not relevant. There's a couple of programs out there...cost is about $200.00.

Training programs are popping up like mushrooms. 90% of them are taught by people who have never taken an FAA test in their lives - two months ago they didn't know any more than you do. I suggest sticking with a program that is developed and taught by FAA certificated flight instructors. I'm aware of three of them.

Training programs are popping up like mushrooms. 90% of them are taught by people who have never taken an FAA test in their lives - two months ago they didn't know any more than you do. I suggest sticking with a program that is developed and taught by FAA certificated flight instructors. I'm aware of three of them.

Well said.
I fully agree with you.
I'm not sure that everyone understands that the non part 107 info/questions on the test come from the info/questions on the private/sport pilot written test.

Lot of confusion if you don't know.

You may be able to get into a local student pilot study group for little or nothing.
My local EAA chapter does a ground school study group with the two CFIs (Certificated Flight Instructor) we have in the chapter.
Sure you would have to shell out $15 a year to be a member
Sure you would learn more than you need about Aviation but that's not a bad thing.

Don't miss understand me if signing up for a $200 class is what helps you to pass the test then more power to you. Everyone is different.
For my private I had some ground school with my instructor but mostly prepped for the written on my own. Kept studying and taking practice tests which you can do for free until I felt comfortable to take the test.

My long winded point is. make sure you fully understand what you need to do and what your options are before opening your wallet.
All the info is on the FAA website for FREE. Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Will you have to read, research, click on a few links, ask some questions,.. to figure it? Yes you will, its how you learn. And if you don't have the time or energy to do it I don't think any class can help.

I have been in education for over 25 years and I have yet to figure out a way to open someones head and poor knowledge in. An instructor can present it to you, but you have learn it, make the effort to understand it. with some guidance you can do it on your own.

Before I paid someone to help me study I would make sure they hold an FAA instructor certificate. A ground Instructor would work for this.

To those of you wanting to take the Part 107 test at the CAT center if you have questions please ask here on the forum.
I know there are lots of pilots on this forum that will help answer questions for you as you prep for your tests.

my $0.02

Well said.
I fully agree with you.
I'm not sure that everyone understands that the non part 107 info/questions on the test come from the info/questions on the private/sport pilot written test.

Lot of confusion if you don't know.

You may be able to get into a local student pilot study group for little or nothing.
My local EAA chapter does a ground school study group with the two CFIs (Certificated Flight Instructor) we have in the chapter.
Sure you would have to shell out $15 a year to be a member
Sure you would learn more than you need about Aviation but that's not a bad thing.

Don't miss understand me if signing up for a $200 class is what helps you to pass the test then more power to you. Everyone is different.
For my private I had some ground school with my instructor but mostly prepped for the written on my own. Kept studying and taking practice tests which you can do for free until I felt comfortable to take the test.

My long winded point is. make sure you fully understand what you need to do and what your options are before opening your wallet.
All the info is on the FAA website for FREE. Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Will you have to read, research, click on a few links, ask some questions,.. to figure it? Yes you will, its how you learn. And if you don't have the time or energy to do it I don't think any class can help.

I have been in education for over 25 years and I have yet to figure out a way to open someones head and poor knowledge in. An instructor can present it to you, but you have learn it, make the effort to understand it. with some guidance you can do it on your own.

Before I paid someone to help me study I would make sure they hold an FAA instructor certificate. A ground Instructor would work for this.

To those of you wanting to take the Part 107 test at the CAT center if you have questions please ask here on the forum.
I know there are lots of pilots on this forum that will help answer questions for you as you prep for your tests.

my $0.02
Well said and thank you! There appears to be a lot of stuff on the FAA web site for free so I'll take advantage of that. ;)

Excuse the side note but I am very excited about Part 107 and what this means for the industry. I truly believe that the technology being developed for this will change the world.
So In honor of part 107 becoming active I'm discounting the $150.00 the test costs from most of the professional level drones I sell, Zenmuse gimbals & SSD 3pack.
While not officially announced yet the discount code PART107 is active and working.

Here's the thing...no one really knows exactly what's going to be on the test, however it does appear that a few enterprising individuals have made the effort to boil down what most likely will be on it so you don't waste time and effort on elements that aren't relevant. Sure the FAA presents that also but at $150 a pop, I want to increase my chance of passing it on the first go round with a little focused coaching (videos, someone to answer questions, etc) to supplement the FAA study material.

Reactions: BigAl07
Here's the thing...no one really knows exactly what's going to be on the test, however it does appear that a few enterprising individuals have made the effort to boil down what most likely will be on it so you don't waste time and effort on elements that aren't relevant. Sure the FAA presents that also but at $150 a pop, I want to increase my chance of passing it on the first go round with a little focused coaching (videos, someone to answer questions, etc) to supplement the FAA study material.
Well, sort of. We do know precisely what the test will cover based on FAA documents. We know precisely which sectional charts, METARs, etc. will be used. So although we may not know the exact wording, those of us who have been in the FAA testing world for a long time can get it pretty close.

If you go with a training program, just make sure it is developed and conducted by FAA certificated flight instructors. It's great that a drone person wants to help you with an FAA test, but if he's never taken one before, that's probably not the best choice for you.

Well said and thank you! There appears to be a lot of stuff on the FAA web site for free so I'll take advantage of that. ;)
Next week we'll know for sure, but I'm concerned that people taking the free route will have a much lower pass rate. More power to them if the DO pass, and I certainly wish them the best of luck. But I've been through the study guide and am intimately familiar with all the FAA documents and textbooks. I've personally taken 8 FAA written exams over the years (yes, passed every one on the first attempt) and have trained thousands of pilots for their tests. The information is there, but separating out the relevant from the irrelevant will probably make the free study route the more dangerous one. It can be done, but it will be a lot more difficult.

Reactions: BigAl07
Well, sort of. We do know precisely what the test will cover based on FAA documents. We know precisely which sectional charts, METARs, etc. will be used. So although we may not know the exact wording, those of us who have been in the FAA testing world for a long time can get it pretty close.

If you go with a training program, just make sure it is developed and conducted by FAA certificated flight instructors. It's great that a drone person wants to help you with an FAA test, but if he's never taken one before, that's probably not the best choice for you.

Yes the instructor is a CFI. Funny thing...I'm also a GA student pilot (...single engine land, probably about 20-hours left before they kick me out of the nest for the solo) and he reminds me of my first CFI.

Appears to be multiple choice so I'm studying everything I can from the FAA web site and figure if one of the answers is A, B, or C I should be able to get it right. Also, I can miss 18 and still pass. I know that's not the way to go about it but conversely I won't need to know 75% of the stuff on the test.

I will not be flying my drone in inclement weather, nor near airports, nor will I be carrying a load. So far in my study guide these topics were heavily covered. Why do I need to know metar info? Don't get me wrong I understand there are more expensive and more heavily used drones than mine that would need this info. Just not me.

Appears to be multiple choice so I'm studying everything I can from the FAA web site and figure if one of the answers is A, B, or C I should be able to get it right. Also, I can miss 18 and still pass. I know that's not the way to go about it but conversely I won't need to know 75% of the stuff on the test.

I will not be flying my drone in inclement weather, nor near airports, nor will I be carrying a load. So far in my study guide these topics were heavily covered. Why do I need to know metar info? Don't get me wrong I understand there are more expensive and more heavily used drones than mine that would need this info. Just not me.

They have to cover all the bases. Phantoms - and quadcopters in general - are only some of the sUAVs out there. Fixed wing aircraft are a different beast, and have different implications with temperature on their lift and control surfaces than rotary wing. Some people live close to airports and some more than others will have a greater need to understand how to determine where the different classes of airspace are. Here in Florida, you can't throw a rock without hitting an airport, heliport, or seaplane base, so there's lots of Class D and higher airspace to be aware of. One of the places I want to fly one day is a marina lined up perfectly with a small nearby airport's runway, so being able to look up the CTAF frequency and listen for aircraft coming in to land or takeoff would be important. Am I worried about frost? No. But that doesn't mean that the information is not useful.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl