107 Based Map

Reaction score
I was having a difficult time using the existing uav airspace apps as they do not align with 107 regulations. So I created by own map using arcgis.

https://arcg.is/1e49XH

Here is a link to the map. You can open in browser for now. It is also available through the arcgis app but you would have to search for it.

There is an ios app that you can find the map in. Just install app and search for 107 uav. Explorer for ArcGIS by ESRI
Explorer for ArcGIS on the App Store

When you open the map you should see a target button which will grab your gps location and zoom in. From there you should see if you are in a certain airspace that would restrict flight for 107 operations. You can tap any airspace to get more details on it.

I would appreciate any feedback. I still need to work on getting TFRs on the map.

Reactions: LoneDrone
I actually requested a feature with AirMap that would give airspace ceilings and bottoms and they said they'd pass it along to their engineers. I looked for quite some time for an app that would do that. Thanks for your work on this!

Reactions: AyeYo
Before my first post here I tried just zooming in on the map via mobile chrome browser and it worked fine, but using gps to find my location had the blur dot jumping slightly around center on a white background. I could never get the map to load that way. Simply pinch and zoom works however.

Before my first post here I tried just zooming in on the map via mobile chrome browser and it worked fine, but using gps to find my location had the blur dot jumping slightly around center on a white background. I could never get the map to load that way. Simply pinch and zoom works however.

On mobile I recommend using the arcgis explorer app. It is a much better experience. I am using the base arcgis online mapping framework so issues like you mention are out of my control. I noticed on mobile that the gps button zooms in very close. You may just need to pinch out a bit.

Looks like you've done a lot of work and it worked ok for my location, but I don't see a lot of difference between this and Airmap. Adding TFRs would certainly be a plus, especially if you can keep up with when they go into effect and when they are over. Same thing with NFZs.

There is a lot of difference between this and airmap. With airmap the commercial option is nit based on 107 rules. In airmap it was saying I couldn't fly near a bunch of small airports even though they were not in airspace that would restrict my flight.

Looks like a fun project. It is missing at least some restricted areas. No subscription required, so obviously will be attractive relative to ForeFlight etc., but what are its advantages over regular sectionals with TFRs, such as available free on Skyvector and other sites?

Looks like a fun project. It is missing at least some restricted areas. No subscription required, so obviously will be attractive relative to ForeFlight etc., but what are its advantages over regular sectionals with TFRs, such as available free on Skyvector and other sites?

I just wanted to create something that would answer the question "can i fly here?" Under 107 rules. I wanted it to be easier to read than a sectional and be based on my exact location.

I like this. Simple and effective.

I actually used it to help me work on a proposal for a large contract yesterday. I cross referenced it with other sources and it was spot on.

I like this. Simple and effective.

I actually used it to help me work on a proposal for a large contract yesterday. I cross referenced it with other sources and it was spot on.

Great feedback. Exactly what I am hoping to hear. Thank you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Great feedback. Exactly what I am hoping to hear. Thank you.

I agree in principle but, as I mentioned above, it is missing the restricted area at my location, so I'd be hesitant to trust it without referring to the sectional, which makes it a bit redundant.

I agree in principle but, as I mentioned above, it is missing the restricted area at my location, so I'd be hesitant to trust it without referring to the sectional, which makes it a bit redundant.

Post location of missing restricted area so i can research why it is missing.

Good catch! Error on my part and has been fixed. FAA uses text for numbers which unnecessarily adds complexity.

Keep the feedback coming!

OK - that was quick. Then one other comment: on the iPad, when hitting the "go to my location" button, the resulting default zoom seems to have a field of view of just a couple of meters. Is there a way to set that a bit lower?

OK - that was quick. Then one other comment: on the iPad, when hitting the "go to my location" button, the resulting default zoom seems to have a field of view of just a couple of meters. Is there a way to set that a bit lower?

Let me check if that is configurable. I am using a standard template so it may not be.

When using the "browser" version is there a "go to my location" button? I've tried in Chrome and FireFox and I must be over looking it.

When using the "browser" version is there a "go to my location" button? I've tried in Chrome and FireFox and I must be over looking it.

It only appears on location-aware devices as far as I can see. Safari on my iPads show it, but not on my Mac.

If location functionality is available on your browser you will see a target icon under the map navigation buttons.
13e9bb0129c47597dbd8c7bd9ad4516c.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31