101/107 question

Reaction score
I was wondering if a 107 certificate holder could fly at night, without a waiver if flying only for recreational purposes under part 101? I understand you'd need a waiver for commercial work, but I'd hate to give up my night shots just because I bought a certificate. I really like night stills.

6dda32ffadf45c85b287c87ee192dfca.jpg

You have the choice as to which type of flight you will be flying. IF you have a Part 107 certificate, you can still fly under Part 101 rules. You just have to make that decision before that flight and keep to the rules for that type for the flight. Be aware, though, that if you fly under party 101 in manner not 'allowed' for Part 107 and later decide that you want to 'sell' the images that the FAA might take exception to that. I do both, just keep good records (i.e. a flight log).

Having a Part 107 Certificate allows you to fly commercially, but you are also allowed to fly for recreation during non-commercial times. The rule is whatever the intent of the flight is at the start of the flight must remain the purpose of the entire flight. You can't take off with commercial intent under commercial regulations, switch mid-flight to recreational under recreational regulations, and then continue with commercial regulations. Each flight must have a single intent throughout the flight from launch to landing and power off. I have also been informed by the FAA that if you intend to fly both for commerce and recreation, your sUAS should have both registration numbers displayed on it.

(NOTE: I see Richard beat me to the answer. Excellent point regarding the photos.)

You can always try applying for a waiver for night flying if you put forth a persuasive reason to justify it. I recommend researching some night flying waivers that have been granted.

Last edited:
You can read a number of 107.29 Daylight Operation waivers that have been granted here. Seems like a popular waiver to request.

Good Luck to you!
I just finished viewing all the RemotePilot101 training videos today. I think they did a great job with them.
I'm planning on taking the Practice Final Exam tomorrow on their site and the actual exam within the next couple of weeks.

Am I reading all the posts right?
Are there two certificates available to get?
How are you taking night pictures?
I thought flying at night was a no,no........

Note, you can fly for 1/2 hour after local sunset and for 1/2 hour before sunrise with appropriate lighting.

Reactions: Rayb27
Having completed my knowledge test with a passing score, I can say that I finally get it... More should be done to educate the new 101 users. I came into it, confused and wondering which set of rules applied to me, getting mixed help online....Ugh
It's enough to give you a migraine. IACRA will be down, just in time to stall my application, so technically I'm not certificated yet, but I know which set of rules to follow. Starting out as a 101 user is difficult and confusing to us newbs for sure, tho. I'm glad that headache is almost over.

p3s- fishing
p4 Black- Inspections

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20