100 Watt LED Spotlight!!!

Reaction score
I added a 100 Watt LED to my P3P. It is powered by a 3S 11.1v 2,200mAh lithium battery. I got the LED and 12-36v converter off of Amazon. The other parts are scavenged from other stuff I had laying around. The light is activated by a mercury switch that is attached to my camera. When I point the camera down it turns on. I can quickly do it with the C1 set as "Camera Forward" function.
Even after lightening this up as much as possible it is still very heavy and a strain to fly with. My motor and my battery are pretty hot after 15 minutes or so of flying. It is unbelievably bright though and I have two photos showing what it can do. The hard to see one is a church near me. You can see the circle on the steeple and part of the roof. The two guys said they felt like they were under a police chopper.
Parts List:
1) 36v 100 Watt LED from Amazon
2) 12-36v Converter from Amazon
3) Heat sink from a graphics chip in an old PC
4) Fan and plastic parts are from an old IDE removable hard drive tray.

It is held on by two brackets with 4 screws that grab the back legs. It sits on the flat ledge at the top of the legs where the antennas are. The mercury switch is glued on but the glue can be easily removed if needed. The gimbal still works fine as well.

Last edited:
Fixed. It must default to private or something.

Man I love it, Gonna be on my list for next project once im done with the mod im working on
It is fun because it is SOOO Freaking bright! BUT I have to admit the weight is hard on the drone. I will only fly for a few minutes then land and rest from now on. I flew 2 nights in a row for about 15 minutes each and the battery was HOT!

Whats the total weigh of the mod added to the bird?
I don't know because I don't have a dope scale. I may see if my neighbor has a small scale since I am curious about the weight.

Wicked looking light. Love the concept of it and the Mercury switch... talking about going Old School on us LOL

Wicked looking light. Love the concept of it and the Mercury switch... talking about going Old School on us LOL
I had ideas of micro switches, etc. But then as a replaced an old thermostat in one of my apartments I thought hmmm..... What about the good old mercury switch? It works great and I will be using it for anything I need switched on and off. I have a disco light mod coming soon.

I had ideas of micro switches, etc. But then as a replaced an old thermostat in one of my apartments I thought hmmm..... What about the good old mercury switch? It works great and I will be using it for anything I need switched on and off. I have a disco light mod coming soon.

What is mercury switch ?

BVC- It is not too hot since I use it in short bursts and the prop wash is probably cooling it a lot.

Thunderbird - A mercury switch is a glass capsule with liquid mercury in it. When tilted it touches the contacts to complete a circuit since it is very conductive. See the last photo.

MasterBlaster - The photos should be visible. I had the setting on private at first, hit refresh.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav