$100 eBay Gimbal Review

Reaction score
I recently purchased this gimbal and was asked to post a review.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261360452122

I ordered it on 12/27 and received it on 1/6. Even thought the seller was in North America (Los Angeles) it took a lot longer than expected. Normally USPS first class to Las Vegas from Los Angeles takes 2 days.

It came pre assembled and debugged. It was well packed. Came with the cable for tilt control as well. I hooked it up to the aux power wire and had it working within minutes. Seems very stable and works good enough for the girls I go out with.

The board on it is the same used as the goodluckbuy gimbal (http://www.goodluckbuy.com/universal-2- ... ensor.html) and uses the SimpleBGC (http://www.simplebgc.com/eng/downloads/ or http://www.basecamelectronics.com/) firmware and software.

My concerns is weight. Although its all carbon fiber and aluminum, its still adding a lot of weight onto my phantom. Should I run different props? upgrade the motors? What do you guys think about those dual battery setups?

Attachments

• 20140106_182433.jpg
    20140106_182433.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 1,287
  • 20140106_182514.jpg
    20140106_182514.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 1,289
  • 20140106_182524.jpg
    20140106_182524.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 1,312
Thanks for posting!!

In comparing most of those goodluckbuy-type gimbals, there is really only about 50grams weight difference. How much flight time has the gimbal cut for your rig?

I have also read some reviews that suggested the pan function could act a bit wonky sometimes. Is that your experience or is everything smooth?

Is that a manual for the gimbal that I see in that picture?!? :eek:

I'd be interested to see what's in there - as my Goodluckbuy gimble came with ZERO documentation.

In answer to your questions - fly it and get comfortable with it. I've used stock props w/gimbals no problem. The newer props seem to be more efficient and move more air from the short few flights I've had before this cold spell. Same goes with the motor upgrades get familar with your rig then decide.
As far as dual batteries - personally I'd avoid that - just from what I've heard & seen, the dual set up tends to make it "fly like a pig" (one member put it) and 2 batteries don't get you twice the time more like 1 1/3rd the time.

Bunger said:
Thanks for posting!!

In comparing most of those goodluckbuy-type gimbals, there is really only about 50grams weight difference. How much flight time has the gimbal cut for your rig?

I have also read some reviews that suggested the pan function could act a bit wonky sometimes. Is that your experience or is everything smooth?

I havent had any flight time with it just yet. By the time I get home from work, its dark out (I HATE WINTER!) I will get some flight reviews and video footage up as soon as I can.

What is the weight of the gimbal ?
I see it says 210 but have you waited it ?

BradSCJB said:
I recently purchased this gimbal and was asked to post a review.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261360452122

I ordered it on 12/27 and received it on 1/6. Even thought the seller was in North America (Los Angeles) it took a lot longer than expected. Normally USPS first class to Las Vegas from Los Angeles takes 2 days.

Check out the seller's profile. Interesting that he shows being in China, while the listing item was "supposed" to be in the US. If he is China, you got it pretty quickly given the holidays...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/sunlight369

BradSCJB said:

My concerns is weight. Although its all carbon fiber and aluminum, its still adding a lot of weight onto my phantom. Should I run different props? upgrade the motors? What do you guys think about those dual battery setups?

You are going thru the same thought processes and discoveries as I have-

9in carbon props made my Phantom respond with more torque like properties- 9in plastic vision props offered the same smoothness, and more lift like the CF, but without any jitter (visual as it never showed in footage- it is a feel thing)

My stock flight times before the gimbal were only 3 min longer from my memory (I only flew it 2x I think before the gimbal went on)

I have dual batteries now, but no formal tested times I can comfortably verify- but I am thinking it gives me about 5 min. I get 7 min flights with stock props, and 6.5 min flights with 9in props on average (both plastic and CF)

The dual batteries make the Phantom better in windy conditions in my setup, but I like the response and nimbleness of the single battery.

I also prefer to use a variety of settings on the same shots with the gopro, hence I find the 5 to 6 min flight time perfect as when I swap a lipo, I change FOV on the camera usually.

I plan on upgrading to tiger motors- that is a given- but that is because I never run stock motors in anything I ever drove, rode, or operated wherever possible... kind of a "Tool Time" syndrome thing (Tim Allen would have been proud)
*I also see side by sides showing the Tiger motors perform much better overall

I finally wired it up and took it for a spin today. This video is of it straight out of the box. It has full functioning tilt control with the v1.1.1 controller.

its pretty stable except when i have it in the full down position, it attempts to reset itself (hence the camera tilt jerks)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmnIiI5nwGU[/youtube]

you can see my dog jump at the camera upon liftoff lol

There seemed to be a fair amount of bounce in the shot when flying forward/backward aggressively. If you ease it forward and back, does it stay more level?

I also see what you mean about the down-facing issue... I'm not sure how you could adjust that.

By the way - lived the dog!

Bunger said:
There seemed to be a fair amount of bounce in the shot when flying forward/backward aggressively. If you ease it forward and back, does it stay more level?

I also see what you mean about the down-facing issue... I'm not sure how you could adjust that.

This is straight out of the box. I assume these issues can be resolved with fine tuning it via the SimpleBGC app.

Also, the jerking when it was full down was caused by the wires hitting the arm. I am going to see if I can reposition the wires to correct this.

Hi Brad,

I just bought the same gimbal and it came in the mail today! I am excited to get this thing up and running although have a question about how you connected the pitch control. Which wires did you use to connect the pitch. please excuse my ignorance as I am very new to all this.

Any help or pictures of the connections would be great help!
BradSCJB said:
Bunger said:

This is straight out of the box. I assume these issues can be resolved with fine tuning it via the SimpleBGC app.

Also, the jerking when it was full down was caused by the wires hitting the arm. I am going to see if I can reposition the wires to correct this.

krousso11 said:
Hi Brad,

I just bought the same gimbal and it came in the mail today! I am excited to get this thing up and running although have a question about how you connected the pitch control. Which wires did you use to connect the pitch. please excuse my ignorance as I am very new to all this.

I basically used 3 of the 4 wires. in my case it was blue yellow and green. It was a trial and error. Connect the 3 in the same order on each end. One way doesnt work, the other does.

PS - make sure you enable the gimbal in your NAZA software. I troubleshooted for like 30 minutes before i was like 'duh - forgot to enable that channel'.

I am at work right now, but I'll try to get a picture.

BradSCJB said:
krousso11 said:
Hi Brad,

I basically used 3 of the 4 wires. in my case it was blue yellow and green. It was a trial and error. Connect the 3 in the same order on each end. One way doesnt work, the other does.

PS - make sure you enable the gimbal in your NAZA software. I troubleshooted for like 30 minutes before i was like 'duh - forgot to enable that channel'.

It would be super awesome if you showed a photo of your wired connections, the naza and screenshot of enabling it in the assistant software. Thanks!

Brad,

Thanks for the quick response...I will try and figure it out!
BradSCJB said:
krousso11 said:
Hi Brad,

Hi Brad...so it seems that I cannot figure this darn thing out. I have tried different combinations of three of the 4 wires. And yes, I have made sure that the gimbal is turned on in the Naza settings.

Anything else you or maybe anyone else can help with? My wires are yellow, orange, red, and green...in that order from outside to outside either order. Possible pictures of your set up?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4