10 flights = stress cracks...

Reaction score
Just picked up a P3P less than 2 weeks ago that was shipped fresh from the factory to my local DJI dealer. I'm about 10 flights in and just noticed a stress crack near the back left motor mount.

I was hoping this defect was resolved in the latest production runs but it doesn't appear to be the case... :/

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442293431.186965.jpg

Reactions: williamjamesfpv
Dang. I'm just about to order a P3P and this stress crack stuff really bothers me. The problem is, I haven't found a better solution at this price point. I could roll my own for the same price, but it would be a lot more work, and I'd be stuck with a GoPro lens and no fancy app. I'm hoping that the Strong Arm protectors will help.

Reactions: nickyb
Actually that looks like the shell connecting screw standoff but whatever you want to call it, it is really bad news. Sorry for your problem.

In your case, the cracks are NOT motor mounts stress cracks. Get cable ties and tie all 4 arms closest to the motor and fly the tits off it until it gets cold and send back to DJI in the cold break.

My stress crack appeared after 2.5 hours of flight. It's spring here in Aus so I cant afford to wait 2 months. I ended using hobby glue to minimise vibration (though I think its combination of both heat on vibration on brittle craplastic).

RMA it for warranty work. It doesn't look like the shell is the newer design some people have been getting that is suppose to address the issue. Don't goop up the cracks with glue etc. DJi won't accept it as a warranty repair if you decide to do that then return the P3 under warranty for that issue.

On a side note I have a P3A and P3P bought early so original shell design. 65 flights on the Pro and 91 on the Advanced and neither have cracks. So it's not happening on all of them.

Reactions: libertyflyer
RMA it for warranty work. It doesn't look like the shell is the newer design some people have been getting that is suppose to address the issue. Don't goop up the cracks with glue etc. DJi won't accept it as a warranty repair if you decide to do that then return the P3 under warranty for that issue.

On a side note I have a P3A and P3P bought early so original shell design. 65 flights on the Pro and 91 on the Advanced and neither have cracks. So it's not happening on all of them.
Just got my p3p direct from dji. What does the new shell design look like?

Just picked up a P3P less than 2 weeks ago that was shipped fresh from the factory to my local DJI dealer. I'm about 10 flights in and just noticed a stress crack near the back left motor mount.

I was hoping this defect was resolved in the latest production runs but it doesn't appear to be the case... :/

View attachment 30748

Hi - I do a thorough check of the airframe every 4-5 flights and I just noticed 2 cracks, similar to the one you have shown. Were you able to get this matter resolved?

My 2 day old P3A from DJI direct looks exactly the same with new motors. I think their shells are just all over the place. You think that its not newer because no indented ring around the screw holes correct? I havent taken my motors out yet but I can see it has the X design with no indents around the screw holes

I think a lot of it has to do with how tight the screws are in.

That may be true.... but honestly, that's totally on DJI. I can't have my phantom fall out of the sky cause the screws are too tight. (Sorry, not trying to shoot the messenger or anything... just venting that this could happen after so few flights).

Reactions: GlennG
My 2 day old P3A from DJI direct looks exactly the same with new motors. I think their shells are just all over the place. You think that its not newer because no indented ring around the screw holes correct? I havent taken my motors out yet but I can see it has the X design with no indents around the screw holes

I honestly don't know. Mine was purchased in June... didn't get it till late july... and it doesn't have too many flights on it. No crashes and well maintained, so this has me baffled.

Their is a post on the DJI site that has a poll. Cracks or no Cracks. I looked yesterday and there was a total of about 500 responses. 25% cracks with no crashes, 5% cracks with crashes and 70% no cracks.

Yea I totally agree. Wasn't trying to lay any blame at all(which is on DJI). Just trying to give people ideas from my expieriences so maybe as a community we can get to the bottom of it. Its insane how many people this is happening too and then how many people are worried about it, rightfully so.

You hit the nail on the head... it's happening to too many people. Given how much we're paying for these things... it should be a rare occurance (if that). Now I'm trying to get a hold of the support team, but I guess they are done for the day. The night just keeps getting better and better... LOL :)

Reactions: cactus683
Their is a post on the DJI site that has a poll. Cracks or no Cracks. I looked yesterday and there was a total of about 500 responses. 25% cracks with no crashes, 5% cracks with crashes and 70% no cracks.

Woooh! Are you serious? That's a lot!

My personal opinion of that photo is that you can still fly it with no issues. Do as the other guy states and just put some zip ties around the arms and send it in when it gets cold out.

My personal opinion of that photo is that you can still fly it with no issues. Do as the other guy states and just put some zip ties around the arms and send it in when it gets cold out.

Thank you for your input :) I would normally be tempted to do that... but my fear is that if something goes wrong, that DJI will turn around and say "well, you shouldn't of flown it". Its rainy season here anyways so not too much flying time is lost :)

Reactions: GoodnNuff
That's a shame. I'm holding off the purchase of my new P3P until Christmas time with the hope that new motors and shells will be in at DJI dealers.

Use this material, I Used it on a Fresh out of the box P3P before ever flying it This stuff is like Steel, Super strong an easy to use, mix it up thin and pour it around the base of each moor mount area to a thickness of about 1/4 inch, just short of the screw holes for the motors. Allow it to harden an hour and it will become super bonded to the body shell. It is Miracle material, guarantee never a stress crack. Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.

Reactions: JB-I and nickyb

View attachment 30748

Hi... do you have NEW motors? new shell? or is it an old batch?

regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20