10 day old Phantom 2 suddenly dies..... :(

Reaction score
Hey Guys....

Not a fun post this one and I see many others have had similar experiences :(

I bought my P2 about 10 days ago and fitted the 3D gimbal my GoPro H3 and the Boscam 5822 transmitter plus cloverleaf antennas to link through to FatShark headset.

It had completed 9 flights when on the 10th it suddenly fluttered and dropped like a stone from around 45m height and 20m distance. The P2 had had the compass calibrated prior to the 9 flight (same location just prior to the 10 flight) the GPS was indicating 7 satellites and the signal led's were indicating green.

I took off and was flying around the Dubai Marina area getting some great shots flying on the FatShark headset. I took the P2 up to just over 100m and did a slow turn and then started to bring it back in for a landing since the battery was down to 40%. All going well a steady slow decent and slightly forward, stopped in a hover at 45m for a few seconds and suddenly the P2 just fluttered wildly and dropped into the marina never to be seen again.....a jet ski was nearby and dashed over to get it but it had already sunk. I had vision all the way down to when it hit the water.

The weather was perfect, 35C little to no wind. I have experience flying nitro helicopters in the past and was really enjoying the Phantom!

Interestingly I had flown twice in the morning and on the second flight the P2 was at about 90m and 60m out when suddenly it did a large flutter, almost like something had flown into it but there were no birds around. It recovered and I found I could not yaw to the left at all, just to the right. I brought the P2 back to me using the FatShark goggles and doing turns right when I needed to correct heading. This lasted for about a minute then it seemed to recover full yaw control. This was the 8th flight of the Phantom. I checked it over and all seemed to be well so I thought nothing more of it and indeed as you can see above the 9th flight was normal and no snags. The 10th as mentioned above had the same flutter but this time it just fell like a stone fluttering all the way.

Something is wrong with the machine! I am so annoyed I followed the instructions precisely and I am aware of giving it time to GPS and home lock plus compass calibration. All of which were done correctly prior to the 10th flight (compass calibration prior to 9th flight) As I said I also fly nitro helicopters and also fly for a living as a pilot so I am aware of GPS systems and requirements and to follow SOPs. This machine was faulty .... and from what I am reading its not the first to have this problem.

Joe Batt said:
Hey Guys....

Interestingly I had flown twice in the morning and on the second flight the P2 was at about 90m and 60m out when suddenly it did a large flutter, almost like something had flown into it but there were no birds around. It recovered and I found I could not yaw to the left at all, just to the right. I brought the P2 back to me using the FatShark goggles and doing turns right when I needed to correct heading. This lasted for about a minute then it seemed to recover full yaw control. This was the 8th flight of the Phantom. I checked it over and all seemed to be well so I thought nothing more of it and indeed as you can see above the 9th flight was normal and no snags. The 10th as mentioned above had the same flutter but this time it just fell like a stone fluttering all the way.
I had this "no reaction" to left or right yaw in the stick as well,(don't remember which). it was because I accidently switched to CL. being back to off and GPS gave me all control back.

First off, I just want to say that I'm really sorry to hear about your crash and loss. It's a sickening feeling and I'm familiar with it all too well.

When you say that you checked it over after experiencing the yaw problem, did you happen to open it up and check solder points and ESC/motor plugs prior to the crash flight?

I've been seeing more crash stories about the behavior you just described. I keep hearing VRS regurgitated over and over again, which I think is ridiculous. VRS is really not that big of deal. Just make sure when you descend that you leave a few meters of extra space in case you run into VRS, which commonly happens (it happens to me at least once every flight). If you find yourself in a VRS, you only need some throttle and a few meters before your model recovers.

The latest crash behaviors seem have a lot in common. They have power all the way to the ground, they involve a sudden drop and erratic behavior. It could be a lot of things, but the first thing I would check for are loose connections to your critical components.

In fact, I think it's important for anyone with a quad to become very familiar with all the internal pieces that makes it work. These things are certainly not maintenance free and need to be checked often. Things get loose, folks.

Joe, hope you're able to fly again soon.

Thanks for your input guys... As for VRC, it could be but it was at 45 meters and I wasn't decending I was in the hover. VRC occurs when you defend rapidly into your own wash and the increase in AoA at the rotor hub due to the upwash stalls the blade at the hub. The point at which the blades AoA transitions back to lift generates the ring vortex and down it goes....

I didn't open up the Phantom and check connections :( Next time :( Next model !!

As for the CL, it wasn't in CL mode, I was flying using FatShark in standard GPS mode...both S1 S2 fully forward and not touched the whole flight. CL shouldn't prevent it yawing , it will still rotate using the left stick but it won't move 'true' left or right with the RH stick it will move 'grid' left to right. i.e. you could rotate the aircraft using the LHS 90 degrees to the left then in CL the RHS 'left' will be forward to the aircraft and RHS 'right' will be reverse to the aircraft. Visa versa if you rotate the aircraft 90 right.

From what I have read a lot of these "fall from the sky" crashes happen over salt water... could this be a contributing factor.
That is; salt water spray damage? Uncontrolled flutter would seem to indicate a motor failure of some sort.

Just me 2 cents input... sorry for your crash, not good.
Mine fell from the sky (onto land) when I powered the rotors off by "accident" (CSC in flight!)

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Check my post about falling into the Bay viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16271

This happened to me once before over land and I posted the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cYDw6IVn0

Does that look and sound familiar? This is what happened to me May 25th over the Bay and I never recovered it.

Something aint right because my friend in Denver had the same thing happen to him and he cannot locate it still

TeamYankee said:
From what I have read a lot of these "fall from the sky" crashes happen over salt water... could this be a contributing factor.
That is; salt water spray damage? Uncontrolled flutter would seem to indicate a motor failure of some sort.

Just me 2 cents input... sorry for your crash, not good.
Mine fell from the sky (onto land) when I powered the rotors off by "accident" (CSC in flight!)

It happens over land as well. It's not a salt water thing.

See this footage 3 weeks before I lost mine over salt water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3cYDw6IVn0

Can you be more specific? What inside our P2's is getting loose and require frequent checking?

golgotha said:
First off, I just want to say that I'm really sorry to hear about your crash and loss. It's a sickening feeling and I'm familiar with it all too well.

When you say that you checked it over after experiencing the yaw problem, did you happen to open it up and check solder points and ESC/motor plugs prior to the crash flight?

I've been seeing more crash stories about the behavior you just described. I keep hearing VRS regurgitated over and over again, which I think is ridiculous. VRS is really not that big of deal. Just make sure when you descend that you leave a few meters of extra space in case you run into VRS, which commonly happens (it happens to me at least once every flight). If you find yourself in a VRS, you only need some throttle and a few meters before your model recovers.

The latest crash behaviors seem have a lot in common. They have power all the way to the ground, they involve a sudden drop and erratic behavior. It could be a lot of things, but the first thing I would check for are loose connections to your critical components.

In fact, I think it's important for anyone with a quad to become very familiar with all the internal pieces that makes it work. These things are certainly not maintenance free and need to be checked often. Things get loose, folks.

Joe, hope you're able to fly again soon.

Scubari, I am not sure that is a power loss or something else but regardless, send that video to your dealer and/or DJI to get a new unit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj