1.3 GHz FPV in USA?

Reaction score
Someone make it clear to me 1.3 GHz usage in the US and how does it compare to using 5.8.

I noticed 1.3 GHz transmitters locked for USA?

From what I understand, 1.3 and NAZA GPS do not typically play nice. When it does work, careful setup and shielding measures need to be done and tested so as not to have a GPS flyaway. 1.3 wins on penetration and 5.8 will typically wins on clarity. I like the happy medium between them of 2.4 video and then use 433 for control.

By all means a 2.4 video can cause issues with 2.4 Phantom control, thats why I recommend 433 control with 2.4 video. In the end 2.4 is the happy medium between penetration and quality. In a wifi rich environment quality can suffer though, I do see that when flying in my neighborhood a little but not my average flying sites.

If you do not want to switch your control freq, the easiest fool proof setup is sticking with 5.8. If you have a strong case for needing 1.3 then these are the limitations that you face to get there. As such, if you do need that penetration just make the DragonLink or EZUHF switch as well, and yeah, you'll need a radio that can support those of course. You can see the rabbit trail I am sure. Additionally, the other benefit of 433 control is never having to worry about your video out distancing your control.

In a nutshell I faced the same questions at one time and it's why I moved into other craft entirely. You end up pouring so much $ modding the Phantom to achieve the results you want when you are better off building what you want and have a more capable (wind, power, quality) craft in the end. Don't get me wrong I still LOVE the Phantom and all it is, they are hardcore capable quads out of the box RTF! Just have to watch the $ and add it all up before you overspend on it.

DiscoDrew said:
By all means a 2.4 video can cause issues with 2.4 Phantom control, thats why I recommend 433 control with 2.4 video. In the end 2.4 is the happy medium between penetration and quality. In a wifi rich environment quality can suffer though, I do see that when flying in my neighborhood a little but not my average flying sites.

If you do not want to switch your control freq, the easiest fool proof setup is sticking with 5.8. If you have a strong case for needing 1.3 then these are the limitations that you face to get there. As such, if you do need that penetration just make the DragonLink or EZUHF switch as well, and yeah, you'll need a radio that can support those of course. You can see the rabbit trail I am sure. Additionally, the other benefit of 433 control is never having to worry about your video out distancing your control.

In a nutshell I faced the same questions at one time and it's why I moved into other craft entirely. You end up pouring so much $ modding the Phantom to achieve the results you want when you are better off building what you want and have a more capable (wind, power, quality) craft in the end. Don't get me wrong I still LOVE the Phantom and all it is, they are hardcore capable quads out of the box RTF! Just have to watch the $ and add it all up before you overspend on it.

Yes... i appreciate what you are telling me. I do like my phantom. For aerial photography/videography... hard to beat. But i'm limited now.

Here's my idea. Build a quad.. I want to shoot for out of the box long range control and fpv without some crazy ground station. I want to record in 1080p and it doesn't have to be a GOPRO but i want better resolution fpv than what the GoPro transmits. ... I want to use the goggles... a decent pair. I don't need a gimbal.

Basically I want a "sports" drone to extreme fly anywhere I go as far as I go and throw all my equipment into a backpack and take it out and fly and record again.

They say a Phantom fits in a backpack... eh... a big one especially after you modify it. I don't want that. I want something that is truly able to be put a small backpack.

I can make my quad for about $500. entry level... but I really want some mid grade equipment.

i don't know what 433 controls are by the way!

OI Photography said:
d4ddyo said:
I can make my quad for about $500. entry level... but I really want some mid grade equipment.

You might want to check out the XuGong airframe: http://www.immersionrc.com/product-deta ... e=XuGong-8 Quadcopter

I'm thinking H frame. good center of gravity. I can put the camera right on the front and still keep the props out of view.

Back to 433... what controller... what does the system look like... i have no idea.

433 is my hacked abbreviation for 433Mhz, which is UHF control. You need a ham license to legally operate (no I have not, yet ;-) )but just a simple technician license. The two products on the market that you can achieve that with are called DragonLink or Immersion RC EZUHF, it's a little black box that interfaces with your radio and then you have a UHF receiver on your craft. Pretty much as simple as setting up a standard system, just different frequencies. Frequencies that go FAR FAR away and also do not have much competition so they are clean frequencies.

For what you described, I would whole heartedly recommend a TBS Discovery. KILLER sport quad, no gimbal. There are also some clones out there of it. At the end of the day though you are only paying around $100 for a Discovery frame and the rest is all components. The angles on the arms on all TBS quads keep the props out of the video as well, very nice IMO. I use a TBS 69 FPV camera and love it, a 600TVL is a nice less expensive substitute as well. The TBS 59 camera is nice too and very reasonable. I know you don't want a 'crazy ground station' but a TBS Ground station is VERY portable and VERY capable and only $259 ready to go. Something to look into. Stick with your GoPro for 1080P video, it is king.

I wonder though as to why you did not like the GoPro Video for FPV? On my DiscoPro, I can flip a switch and look at the GoPro for framing and use the TBS69 for FPV flight, very little difference in quality to me. The main reason for using 2 cameras is I do not want my FPV cam on a gimbal, I want to see the attitude of the craft and the gimbal makes it look like I am flying level. Not good when hauling the mail and getting on it!

DiscoDrew said:
433 is my hacked abbreviation for 433Mhz, which is UHF control. You need a ham license to legally operate (no I have not, yet ;-) )but just a simple technician license. The two products on the market that you can achieve that with are called DragonLink or Immersion RC EZUHF, it's a little black box that interfaces with your radio and then you have a UHF receiver on your craft. Pretty much as simple as setting up a standard system, just different frequencies. Frequencies that go FAR FAR away and also do not have much competition so they are clean frequencies.

For what you described, I would whole heartedly recommend a TBS Discovery. KILLER sport quad, no gimbal. There are also some clones out there of it. At the end of the day though you are only paying around $100 for a Discovery frame and the rest is all components. The angles on the arms on all TBS quads keep the props out of the video as well, very nice IMO. I use a TBS 69 FPV camera and love it, a 600TVL is a nice less expensive substitute as well. The TBS 59 camera is nice too and very reasonable. I know you don't want a 'crazy ground station' but a TBS Ground station is VERY portable and VERY capable and only $259 ready to go. Something to look into. Stick with your GoPro for 1080P video, it is king.

I wonder though as to why you did not like the GoPro Video for FPV? On my DiscoPro, I can flip a switch and look at the GoPro for framing and use the TBS69 for FPV flight, very little difference in quality to me. The main reason for using 2 cameras is I do not want my FPV cam on a gimbal, I want to see the attitude of the craft and the gimbal makes it look like I am flying level. Not good when hauling the mail and getting on it!

Awesome... i'm gonna think about 433. I do want to have some diversity goggles and maybe that get's me stuck on 5.8ghz for fpv.

The reason why i don't want to use a gopro is: 1) I want to remotely trigger the camera and 2) The gopro transmits 4:3 Aspect Ratio.

I am only speaking from experience with my P2 H2-3D experience. on my monitor thats 16:9... because of the GoPro... my image is either squished or has bars or stretched depending on what resolution i use on GoPro.

Look at the TBS Groundstation, it's sick! Has RJ45 connectors to plug your goggles into both power and transmit video, it has a built in 2.4GHz Lawmate receiver. Honestly, I am not all that familiar with Diversity goggles. With my experience I would personally pick the Fat Shark Dominator or the new yet to be released DominatorHD.

Not sure why you had the 4:3 issue. I can confirm GoPro is 16:9 in FPV on goggles and on my 8" Screen mounted on my Secraft transmitter tray. It will go 4:3 in 1440 but thats because it's native 4:3. I intend to buy a TBS Groundstation in the next day or two myself. I love my Secraft portable setup but want to hook up some goggles to the ground station with an 11dbi Yagi antenna for distance. Will still use both setups often, just horses for courses at that point. As for remotely trigger, yeah thats a no go with the GoPro. When I want to operate like that I just set the GoPro to a 1-2 sec interval mode and let er' rip. Not the same but it does work for photos.

Here is a pic of my main Discovery Pro setup.

PM me if you need anything as you start to plan your build. Always happy to help!

Attachments

• TBS Discovery Pro.jpg
    TBS Discovery Pro.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 940
DiscoDrew said:
Look at the TBS Groundstation, it's sick! Has RJ45 connectors to plug your goggles into both power and transmit video, it has a built in 2.4GHz Lawmate receiver. Honestly, I am not all that familiar with Diversity goggles. With my experience I would personally pick the Fat Shark Dominator or the new yet to be released DominatorHD.

Not sure why you had the 4:3 issue. I can confirm GoPro is 16:9 in FPV on goggles and on my 8" Screen mounted on my Secraft transmitter tray. It will go 4:3 in 1440 but thats because it's native 4:3. I intend to buy a TBS Groundstation in the next day or two myself. I love my Secraft portable setup but want to hook up some goggles to the ground station with an 11dbi Yagi antenna for distance. Will still use both setups often, just horses for courses at that point. As for remotely trigger, yeah thats a no go with the GoPro. When I want to operate like that I just set the GoPro to a 1-2 sec interval mode and let er' rip. Not the same but it does work for photos.

PM me if you need anything as you start to plan your build. Always happy to help!

sweet! I'll PM with you some other time if you don't mind.

DiscoDrew said:

One more question. what about flight time? one thing i love about the Phantom 2 is the 25min flights!!

Don't mind the PM at all, if you have a question just holler. We all love that P2 flight time! Hard to beat for sure!

Standard Discovery on a 5000Mah battery you can expect Ferrari performance and 15 min of flight.

If flight time is your game, look into TBS Discovery with the Aerial Mob arm kit. Of course, it's a bit more money but you will get flight times that can double the P2. Trappy (Owner of TBS) is pushing an hour with that setup from what I understand running 6S batteries on 15" props. The kits are hot off the press and often backordered right now. I actually have my arms sitting here but waiting a bit before I do the conversion. Still need to buy new motors, batteries, props, etc. Have many other goodies in line before I take that route fully yet.

DiscoDrew said:
Don't mind the PM at all, if you have a question just holler. We all love that P2 flight time! Hard to beat for sure!

Standard Discovery on a 5000Mah battery you can expect Ferrari performance and 15 min of flight.

If flight time is your game, look into TBS Discovery with the Aerial Mob arm kit. Of course, it's a bit more money but you will get flight times that can double the P2. Trappy (Owner of TBS) is pushing an hour with that setup from what I understand running 6S batteries on 15" props. The kits are hot off the press and often backordered right now. I actually have my arms sitting here but waiting a bit before I do the conversion. Still need to buy new motors, batteries, props, etc. Have many other goodies in line before I take that route fully yet.

wow... what are we talking about in total investment

Trappy claims an estimate of $700 for the Aerial Mob arms in kit form. Meaning, arms, motors, ESC, Props, etc. All but batteries. Add that on top of your Discovery build. No doubt pricey but also cutting edge, TBS is pushing the limits and coming out with great new products consistently over the last couple years.

$869 for a TBS Discovery ARF for 2.4 Video and UHF Control

Still need to buy:

Radio of Choice (I like Futaba T8FG, but a Turnigy 9XR is a sweet cheap choice) $300 Futaba/$75 Turnigy
Dragon Link or Immersion EZUHF TX/RX combo $300
2.4GHz lawmate video receiver and antenna (I suggest TBS Ground Station) $259
Video goggles - Your choice
Battery (4S between 3.3Ah and 4.5Ah) and matching charger - I use both TBS 4500Mah and Turnigy Nano 4500 $50-100 ea.

If you go that route I have a brand new Dragon Link and brand new Turnigy 9XR I am selling, was for another kit that I did not build. NOT the point of my reply to your thread at all but just saying...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4