Who actually calibrates their compass before every flight?

Reaction score
I calibrated mine once since I bought it (back in July '15) and have been flying without issues, alerts or warnings.

I've flown it at different locations ranging from a couple miles away to as far as 100 miles away (from original cal. location) without any problems.

I do check the values in the GO app to make sure they're between 1500-1600.

Does anyone actually recal before every flight??

If you have a known good compass calibration, and have not travelled more than 100 miles from your last calibration, recalibrating before every flight can only cause problems by introducing a potential calibration error. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :cool:

Agree..I only have done it at first and when I have been in it or move the location of my tracker .
I see some that do it every time they fly .
Never had any issues .

Reactions: grottoli
DJI recommends a recalibration when ever changing physical locations. I you don't an you have a problem you will never know if the compass may have caused an issue.

There is obviously lots of concern from DJIs standpoint because the p4 will have dual compasses and IMUs.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI recommends a recalibration when ever changing physical locations. I you don't an you have a problem you will never know if the compass may have caused an issue.

There is obviously lots of concern from DJIs standpoint because the p4 will have dual compasses and IMUs.

The only problem with dual compasses is that compass failure is not the problem. It is a bad compass calibration, and if both compasses are calibrated in the same bad location, they will both have a bad calibration.

Check map and mod before flight. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I calibrate after firmware update (not sure if that is really needed but do both compass and IMU) or if I travel more than 200km from last calibration location. No iisues.

I have a local oval where i calibrate, stand out in the middle and do the chicken dance. People give me strange looks when i pack up and leave without flying.

I did the prior to every flight on location routine initially but had several compass errors in flight.

I calibrate mine before every flight. It says so in the manual and I'm sticking to it :)
That's the best way to introduce a bad compass calibration, replacing your known good one. After your bird crashes due to a new bad compass reading, you might reconsider. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Trackman1
I only calibrate mine if the new flying location is far from the last one, and after firmware upgrade.

P.S. Plus I don't want to do that silly compass calibration dance every time, in case some strangers will give me a weird look :p

Reactions: 0DRK3RT
I do it before every flight and have over 200 flights!!! Better safe then sorry and it takes 15 sec.

Reactions: bondy
i have done it once or twice only since I owned it lol. I think the only time I would bother again is if I was travelling 100's of miles. Magnetic flux lines don't differ that much :)

Before my first, initial flight, when the DJI GO app. asked to do so. I haven't flown far away from my initial calibration point and I haven't replaced any hardware. The manufactures manual describes when you should do it. I agree with the comment about not trying to fix something that isn't broke. Every time you calibrate there's a potential risk of something going wrong. Someone remarked that the added (2nd compass) compass in the P4 is an indication that the compass is fragile - something that I wouldn't use as an indication of this being a fact, but rather just consider as an added, but cheap, redundancy system and more so a marketing stunt. How many operators have actually reported Phantoms lost due to compass errors?. I wouldn't worry much about the com-pass, just look for DJI GO app to give you the all green and go indications on first flight of the day.

PHANTOM 3 PRO W323B - SINCE JAN2016
GL300C, APP V.2.6.0, AIRCRAFT V.1.6.40, RC V.1.5.70, AUTOPILOT V3.1A. RC planks and rotors since 1988 (nitro/gas/petrol).

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I calibrated mine once since I bought it (back in July '15) and have been flying without issues, alerts or warnings.

I've flown it at different locations ranging from a couple miles away to as far as 100 miles away (from original cal. location) without any problems.

I do check the values in the GO app to make sure they're between 1500-1600.

Does anyone actually recal before every flight??
How and where do you check for the compass values? It seems like every time I fly, the app always says calibrate so I've been doing it every time lately. Is this normal for it to say calibrate every time I turn on the app?

ever location without fail, so simple to do, why not !
It has nothing to do with a lack of simplicity. It has everything to do with hidden metal and underground pipes in unfamiliar new locations that can easily replace your known good compass reading with a bad one during a calibration in such an environment. Compass calibrations don't "wear out" or need recalibration unless you are more than 100 miles from your last known good compass calibration, or inadvertently put your aircraft compass next to a magnet. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
How and where do you check for the compass values? It seems like every time I fly, the app always says calibrate so I've been doing it every time lately. Is this normal for it to say calibrate every time I turn on the app?
Under "Sensors" in the app. Mod value totals for Compass should be in the 1400-1600 range. It's definitely not normal to need to recalibrate before every flight. However, if you put your aircraft next to a large magnetic field, such as a hidden speaker in the trunk of your car, while transporting it, that could definitely mess with the compass!

Reactions: iFlyNhawaii
I calibrate mine before every flight. It says so in the manual and I'm sticking to it :)
That is not exactly what it states. There is more mentioned then that. A person also needs to consider why the compass may need to be re-calibrated in order to apply that to what DJI mentions. The Phantom used magnetic north. If the Phantom changes location far enough (I'd say around 200 miles or so... especially east or west) that direction can change. This is why a re-calibration is needed.

Every time a person does something, something can be done incorrectly. Multiply that chance by the number of times you do it and collectively that chance increases. So if its not needed, I recommend you not be done/changed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.