Phantom wrap

Reaction score
IMG_20160116_095110450.jpg
IMG_20160116_120022797.jpg
IMG_20160116_121120286.jpg
IMG_20160116_121150354.jpg
I have been considering putting a wrap on my P3P. I put a wrap on my Polaris RZR last summer and figured if I can put one on the RZR I can certainly put one on the drone. After all I was pretty sure there were not 72 pieces to deal with! I found one on Amazon that I liked after evaluating what I wanted and one of the criteria was high visibility if it goes down so camouflage was out of the question. I got it in the mail and it was pretty complete including the control panel. it was pretty easy to install with a hair dryer. The secret is not to heat it up too much or it will stretch and wrinkle........which I have one of those also! One of the things I liked was it had the decals indicating the function of the sticks and switches which is always handy for us beginners. I attached some photos of the kit when it arrived and after it was installed including the front and back.
Later, Trashpicker.

Reactions: treerichard
And after you've vectorised it can you email me the details so I can design my own wrap an get it vinyl cut please?

By the way your avatar is awesome. The pug looks comfortable. What is your payload weighing? I suspect 8lb is a weight the phantom can work with in terms of payload.

Photoshop my friend...........you didn't really think.......never mind!

Neat idea though, telling the Mrs you'll take the dog for a walk at the same time as flying your drone, trouble is I have a German Shepherd lol!

Found this in a thread earlier, copied the link but lost the thread, it might help you out a bit, still needs vectorising but that might be the easy bit for someone in the graphics and design trade

Dropbox - PHANTOMRAPS

thanks. I started w/ those yesterday afternoon. Give me a few weeks. Illl want to do a test print and apply the graphics first or if you prefer you can test print em after I get a design in Illustrator. . Im still laughing at your photoshop pug!

Last edited:
Last edited:
@Design-engine I tried to open both links, and neither seemed to work (404s). I'm sure the version I whipped up in a couple of minutes is nowhere near the quality yours are (or will be), but here is a link to a vector-based decal template (.svg) I tossed up on Thingiverse.

I have only cut and used the arm stripes. They fit perfectly, so the rest of the template should be near spot on.

Decal/wrap Template: DJI Phantom 3 Decal Wrap Template by ccbdav

The original files (.psd) are from phantomraps.blogspot.com, and can be found in the link to their Dropbox found in Doink's post above. I make no claim of ownership of these files, as the original .psd files, which are great, come from that site.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 1.56.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 1.56.56 PM.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
I decided to go ahead and cut the svg and apply the vinyl on my Phantom 3 Standard, if only temporarily. It cut quite well!

I realize the results are sub-optimal, particularly considering I did a quick pass with no attempt at optimization in PhotoShop or Illustrator, and I'm a bit inebriated so I didn't line things up correctly.

However, this vector template should work well with actual care and proper preparation.

I'd rather spend $0.80 on vinyl than $20 on a skin I'll only see when on the ground!

Nevertheless, the vector image is hopefully floating around.

Attachments

• IMG_0727.JPG
    IMG_0727.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 547
@Design-engine I simply opened one of the .psd files from Phatomraps in Adobe Illustrator and used the Image Trace option to generate the vector file. I then opened up the .svg in Cameo Studio (running a Cameo Sihouette here), used the trace function to select the outline only, sent the file to the Cameo and cut the vinyl.

As you know, there are several files on his/her site, including transmitter decal templates, but I did not wish to convert all of their files as they are apparently trying to solicit donations for their work. They did a great job with the templates, and they deserve to get some monies if that's how they want to roll.

That being said, your templates look amazing! Very high quality work, man! I'm definitely going to try out the battery template in the morning when I sober up!

Best wishes! And all apologies if I hijacked this thread---I honestly didn't mean to!

Last edited:
Was going to do this but ended up plasti dipping for added strength.

Xvg3rNB.jpg

Last edited:
Was it hard to remove?
You mean all the internals? It was a pain the ***. The phantom was destroyed when I bought it so I needed a new shell. I ordered it and plastic dipped the outside AND inside to give it a bit more strength. Found a bunch of broken parts inside I needed to fix. Putting it back together was a lot easier. Now it's perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4